Wednesday, November 05, 2008

What a night

Well, that was fun. I met up with Bill at Back To The Grind. They had a wide screen tv up front, laptops on every table and a nosh buffet. Darren, the owner, invited us upstairs to the VIP lounge for champagne and cocktails and good conversation. Every once in a while people would let out a cheer, we couldn't always tell why. Then when the California polls closed everyone really got excited. It seemed like it took less than five minutes for the whole thing to be confirmed. Obama had won. Truly amazing. Big cheer there.

Champagne was passed around. I also had some tequila. I hadn't had a drop of alcohol since starting this diet. I was nicely toasted. Hugging commenced. I was glad that Bill was there. Chuck showed up too.

McCain gave his concession speech. Bill said it was classy but I didn't listen to it much. I'm not ready to forgive. That was one ugly campaign. But hey, I'm not his target audience. People in the BTTG crowd were respectful and many people cheered when he said nice things. I do appreciate that.

And then Obama spoke. I went to the balcony rail and watched the whole scene- Obama on the big tv and the crowd below. It was kind of surreal. And boy, I could not stop crying. I waited eight years for this.

Too bad about Prop 8. Some changes take longer.

Plumbing update- I am woman, hear me roar, for I have built a water heater floor. After the plumber left I could see that there was no way a new water heater was going to be installed unless the floor in the closet was replaced. It was completely rotten from years of leaks. It totally caved in. This morning I rebuilt it using 2X4s and 3/4 inch plywood. That sucker could hold three water heaters. I banged it together with wood and screws that I already had. One of the pieces of plywood was from one of Jim's Hammond organs.

I went shopping for water heaters (after going to the tire store and spending $400. Sheesh!) at Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm going to go back to Lowe's tomorrow and get one. So, this whole water heater/shower valve thing will end up costing about $1,000. That's if I'm lucky. We're not out of the woods yet. When I got home I looked at the work the plumber did yesterday. One of the joints appears to be leaking. I'm so glad I didn't get Sears to install a new water heater right away! The plumber is coming back tomorrow morning. I'll be at work but Paige will be here.

One step at a time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You built a FLOOR? Jeez. I'm such a weenie.

-dean

Fispowca--Pocahontas' sister

Anybody notice that the code words have gotten more like real words?

vivage said...

I'm floored! Bwhahahaha.

cranta: What you get when you're saying Ta to a cranky person.

p.s. Yes, I have noticed they're more wordlike.

vivage said...

See? This one is shods.

Donita Curioso said...

I cut five lengths of 2X4 to go around the perimeter and provide support in the middle. Then I cut two pieces of plywood for the floor. I screwed them all together to make the whole thing very rigid. I basically put a floor in a closet, 27X26 inches. This was not a hard thing to do. But it was quite satisfying.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know just what you mean, Dean! Donita built a FLOOR!!! It's like when people ask you where you got your way-cool jewelry, and you say, "My friend Donita made it!"...

Mary

veybi: We be ........ jammin, man; vey bi jammin, man - I vana jammin wich ou .....

Lindsay said...

Kyle is very impressed with your building prowess. I am too, but then I've spent my whole life watching you make stuff most people would sooner buy, or hire someone to make. :)

subfors: the proper name for the floor under the water heater.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, you guys are inspiring me to keep on with it. Using the circular saw yesterday kind of got me going. There's so much to do around our house and it gets overwhelming sometimes. If I can keep moving on to the next thing it'll all get done eventually. Thanks!

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I had planned on making two election night stops, but obviously didn't make it. I was so tired. Speaking of which...ZZZZZZZZ.

Donita Curioso said...

We wanted you to be there. Tiredness be damned. It was history, baby! We called and called and kept getting bubbles.

Oh well, the next time a once-in-a-lifetime event comes along I'm sure you'll make it. They happen so often.