Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bunny cage!

Finally! I got a good start on it today. I gathered my materials and tools, put my hair up, grabbed my iPod, hat and sunglasses and got to work. I measured and cut and drilled and screwed (actual screws) until it got too hot and sunny. Then I came in, had lunch, and watched tv until the back yard got shady again. I went back out and worked until my back started to squawk. I'm pleased with my progress so far.

I have the basic box built. Tomorrow, I'll go to Drew's and get the wire for the sides and to line the bottom so the bunnies can't dig out. I can re-use some of the parts from the old cage. What's great about this is it's going to be almost free. I bought one piece of wood for $15 and I'll need about $10 worth of screws. Everything else I already had.

I'm very happy about this. I couldn't work on it last summer because it was so hot. I hated that the bunnies had to live in their small cage. We'd let them out every once in a while so they could frolic but it never seemed like it was enough. Right now they have a bit more room because Paige attached a puppy playpen that I borrowed from Mindy to their cage. But that's not very secure and I worry about them getting out. I'll be so happy when this is done. The rest of it ought to go pretty quick. I'm on a roll.

My back hurts!

9 comments:

vivage said...

The bunnies are probably all happy they're getting new digs.

I think it's hilarious that you waited for cooler weather and it's still about 100 degrees out there.

imeasc - I'm easy, see? in text speech

Anonymous said...

I know it's too late to bring this up, but reading this post makes me wonder why you ever bought a house when apparently you could have just built one.

thots-thomething you get during flu theason.

I'm thinkin 'ukin' Saturday evenin'.

--BABoR

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- Well, it's still cooler than it was last summer. It was pretty comfortable in the shade.

Jeff- Yes, I could have built one but it would have come out looking like a bunny cage.

Yeah, baby! Ukes on Saturday. My house?

Today I went to Drew's and picked up the wire. He also had a big box of the right kind of screws, so I didn't have to buy them. I brought everything home and hauled it into the back yard. I used the chicken wire to line the bottom of the box. That's as far as I got today. On Wednesday I'll build the frame. This is starting to be kind of fun. I was dreading this project but it's reached the point where it's coming together on its own.

I want to hang onto this attitude. There's so much that needs to be done with this house and sometimes I feel overwhelmed by it all. But I know that all you have to do is take things project by project, and step by step. Some of the projects will cost a bit of money but most of them just require doing the work. It feels good to be doing this. Next, I'll probably tackle the garage. Oh yeah, I also need to look for that leak in the other bathroom.

pingeog- a game from India.

Nancy said...

I like how you get stuff done. Big stuff too!

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

All this talk about tools and screws and wires confuses me.

incif-the first two syllables of a word you don't know how to spell.

Donita Curioso said...

Nancy- Well.... sometimes I can get jiggy on a big project, but my house always looks like hell. Doing this stuff was always better with Jim. He and I complimented each other well on the DIY. There are some things that need to be done on this house that he could have handled beautifully. Hell, he could have replaced that shower valve, no problem. The sprinkler system needs to be redone. When we put in the sprinklers on Sunny Manor he researched the hell out of that project. We had a sprinkler system the pros would have been impressed with. It was seriously engineered. The front planting bed had an underground watering system!

It would have been fun to work on this house with him. So, ok, it's up to me. Man, I wish I had a hundred thou to sink into this place. It's already a pretty cool house. Fixing all its issues and making some improvements would make it a haven.

I'd rip out all the landscaping and start over. Mary, I'd love to make the back yard like the one you guys had on Oak st. I'd like to make most of it into a covered patio. I'd widen the driveway as much as possible. Ken and Sherri's house is the same as mine. Their driveway has been widened and it works beautifully.

I'd put some French doors in my bedroom and make a nice, smaller, private patio right outside. Good place for a hot tub. Outdoor lighting and electrical outlets would be great. Actually, getting the whole house rewired would be the way to go. The only grounded outlet is the one next to the washing machine. Everything else is two prong. Pain in the ass.

That's just part of my wish list.

Jeff, you've shorted out my smart-ass reply circuits. I couldn't pick just one.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. Meta smart-ass comment works well.

dean

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

I met a smart ass once....

Donita Curioso said...

I once met one that could sing.