Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dede! Happy Birthday, Aaron!

Sorry this is posting so late. I hope you did something fun and ate something delicious. In your honor I put a candle in my diet shake.

No I didn't.

Tonight I fired up the heater for the first time since shutting it off for the summer. I didn't know what to do! I've never had central air. Do I light something? Will I blow myself to smithereens? Nope. Just turn the sucker on. I did change the filter. I at least knew to do that much.

I'm taking Ivy to the vet tomorrow morning to get fixed. Once she's healed both kittens can start going outside. Yay! No more litter box. I hope they'll do ok. It's always a little nerve wracking training kittens to survive outdoors. Lio is doing well so far. He looooves being outside. I just want him to understand that cars and neighbor dogs are dangerous. And jeez, we have coyotes living nearby! I can hear them howling at night. Gotta install a cat door so they can escape danger (the cats, not the coyotes).

I've been enjoying having hot water without leaks and knocks. That was a big source of stress. Next I need to explore the leak in the other bathroom. I'm not quite as stressed about that one. Heh! We'll see how that goes when I open things up and have a look. Bill, thanks for the plumber recommendation.

Good night.

7 comments:

vivage said...

Happy Birthday Dede and Aaron!

Doni, putting candles in your shakes will cause waxy buildup. Ick.

Donita Curioso said...

Yes, but it adds that perfect texture that's somewhere between chewy and crunchy.

I managed to catch Marty last night. I let him spend the night in the bathroom. This morning I took him to the vet with Ivy. Marty (fat bastard) is our mostly feral cat. He's friendly but only if you can catch him. He usually doesn't let anyone get near him. I've been kind of worried because I knew he was overdue for his shots and we've got enough wildlife around here for rabies to be a concern. When I brought him home I let him loose in the house for a little while. I went into my room and sat on my bed with Lio and watched tv. Pretty soon Marty came in and crawled into bed with me like it was his usual routine. Lio just didn't know what to think. Man, it's really something to see Lio, who looks big to me, sitting next to a cat that's truly huge. Marty is enormous.

I picked Marty up so I could take him back outside. He weighs 16 pounds. Holding onto him while I stood up was kind of a struggle. Well, recently I've lost 23 pounds. That's like a Marty and a half. That was kind of an eye opener. It's so much easier to move without that weight and yet I'm still at the beginning of this process. I need to lose another hundred pounds!

I think Marty must be getting food from all over the neighborhood. He couldn't have gotten that fat on what I've been feeding him.

vivage said...

Did ya have to wrestle him into a cat carrier?

Anonymous said...

23 Lb!!! Congratulations, Donita!
Proud of ya :)

Cats are funny, huh? Never know what they're gonna do! Our cranky one, Beaker, once in a while will just jump up to cuddle and lick our foreheads :)

Donita Curioso said...

Virginia- He resisted a little going in and I had to reach in and drag him out at the vet. But when the exam was all over he was grateful to get back in. At the farm I would set up the carrier on the back porch for him to sleep in during the winter. He's already used to being in that carrier.

Anne- Heh! I think that would scare me a little. Them grouchy kitties can be unpredictable.

Lio scared me right after I got him. He's very affectionate but I didn't know him very well. He's also pretty big. I was sitting on the bed and he came in and ran at me full speed. He jumped up on my chest and nuzzled up to my face and started purring into my ear. I thought he was going for my throat!

Anonymous said...

wow! 23 pounds! I bet you need to shop for clothes.

-dean

toggaggi--large loose clothing you no longer need.

Donita Curioso said...

Right now I'm shopping in my closet. A few years ago I boxed up all my clothes that didn't fit. I got rid of a lot, too. I've opened up two boxes so far. I have three more stashed.