Sunday, October 12, 2008

Too bummed out to blog

Dude, where's my money? My 401K has lost more than half its value. I didn't have a lot of stock but what I had tanked. I was planning to sell it to hold me through the next couple years while I'm going to school. Right now I'm all bundled up in a cold house because I don't want to run the heat. I'll probably shut off the satellite tv for a while. I don't know where else I can cut back but I've got to find a way to trim the expenses.

I still haven't heard anything about that RCC job I applied for. I'm like, COME ONNNNN!!!!! I'd at least like to know if I'm in the running.

AND I have a water heater that's ready to die any day now. The faucet in my other bathroom is leaking and it can't be fixed, it has to be replaced. The only way to do that is to bust out the wall from the front, or go in from behind. That's the best way to do it but I'll need to get the water heater out first. Ok, fine, it needs replacing anyway, but we're looking at around $600 without installation. If things were normal I'd ask Drew to do it, but he's got problems of his own. There's no way I'd ask him to do anything for me right now. If the water heater can hold out for another month, maybe. I'll just have to put up with the leak. And then there's the money problem. Shit.

Gracie isn't doing well. She's on medication for her thyroid but I don't know if it's helping. She's kind of skinny and her hair has fallen out in big patches. Plus, she's almost deaf and she has arthritis. Last night it was cold so I brought her in the house to sleep in the bathroom. All she did was crap all over the floor and bark her head off. I put her back outside. She's almost 13. I might be letting her go soon.

So, this is one of those times. Things are just piling up. People have been asking me if I'm going to decorate for Halloween. I'm not sure if I will at this point. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the election.

I'm going to look up bus schedules.

4 comments:

vivage said...

I am so where you are. Things suck and I'm just not sure where the money is going to come from. I've been on a budget for a long time and I hate every minute of it.

Anonymous said...

We lost a bundle, too. Six months ago we decided to put everything in safe safe safe stuff--bonds, I guess--but goofed it and didn't hit enter or SOMEthing. I was feeling smug about having guessed right at the right moment, and then we got a statement today and realized we'd fucked up. Lots of it is gone. If Greg can keep his job, we're ok. If he gets laid off, now we can't pay off the house--which was my plan; pay it off and hunker down.

Sorry to hear about Gracie.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks. She's an old girl. Losing Katie and Gracie will mean the end of an era. Boz is part of that pet set, too, but he was never a buddy. Gracie and Jim were pals.

I'm going to call Agilent tomorrow and find out how bad my money situation really is. I wonder about Dad's money too. David had everything pretty well worked out but I don't know if it's set up to handle this.

Nancy said...

Market's way up today, and Obama's ahead by 10 -
Sorry about Gracie Dog.

N