Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween 2008- Ho hum

A bit of a dud but my display looked good. I'll post photos eventually.

I was here by myself. I got dressed in my usual costume (which I love because it looks cool and it's comfortable) and handed out candy to the trickle of trick-or-treaters. This neighborhood has a bizillion kids but they all stayed pretty much on Laramie. No one wanted to come up the hill. It doesn't help that hardly anyone on my street opens their door on Halloween. I did what I could to have some lights out front so people could see there was something going on up here. But right when it started to get dark a HUGE U-Haul pulled up and parked in front of my next-door neighbor's house. They spent most of the night packing it (her sister was moving out). No one walking down Laramie could see my house. I had strewn snap pops along the sidewalk so they would go off when people stepped on them. The kid next door kept warning people not to step on them! A few of them said, "Ooh, this place is too scary, let's not go there" and turned around! So here I am with four huge bags of candy and almost no takers. The last group of kids to come up were teenagers. I gave them HUGE handfuls of candy. Sheesh!

So, I'll probably find something else to do next year. Halloween might be played out for me.

But, dang, my display looked good. I set the witch up in her big Morticia chair with her usual witchy trinkets on a table next to her. But this time I made it into a Paul Newman shrine. I printed out some photos of him. One of them I put into an ornate frame and signed it "All my love, Paul Newman, XXOO". I bought the People magazine that came out right after he died. That was in the witch's lap along with another photo and a box of Kleenex. I had some crumpled Kleenex around her feet. An empty wine bottle lay among them. Candles were on either side of the framed photo. A bottle of Newman's Own salad dressing was next to it. One of the photos was of him and Joanne Woodward. I took a Sharpie and drew a moustache and devil horns and glasses on her. The whole thing looked just great.

I also carved an Obama pumpkin. NO ONE commented on it. So there ya go.

I got through the whole night without eating a single piece of candy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ate enough peanut M&Ms for you and me both. We had about 30 kids, and very few white kids in this very white conservative neighborhood, which made me think my Obama yard sign scared some people away. I gave out Costco candy (and have a ton left over, of course), but I think the kids liked the toys from Oriental Trading Company better. Next year I go back to the toys. I didn't even carve a pumpkin, although I have two nice ones. The best costumed trick-or-treater was a mom in a Wonder Woman suit.

This year I turned my porch light on and left my front door wide open. Usually I screw in a spooky red bulb which doesn't give off enough light for some people and they pass by. I didn't get the red bulb out. I didn't even get my big scary spider out! Pure laziness.

vivage said...

Nobody came to our house, nobody ever does. LOL. House is set too far back, the gate was closed too which isn't very welcoming. hahahaha. But really the biggest reason is nobody comes down our street. Too busy, too rural. No sidewalks.

I basically watched Bill Maher, cruised craft blogs (as the pc allowed) and then read a boring book.

Very, very uneventful.

At least you decorated. We did not.

Sensi (ha, a real word) = ganja

vivage said...

oh yeah, and we didn't have a bit of candy in the house so it made it easy to not eat it.

Donita Curioso said...

Paige is going to take the rest of the candy to Ramona and give it to the band kids. This morning I started on packing things up. In the past this job would take all day-literally. I'm being very picky about what goes back into the bins. I really want to pare down. I have 12 of those flip top plastic bins just for Halloween, plus a bunch of big stuff that doesn't fit into the bins. The days of doing huge displays are over. And it's ok. We had a lot of fun doing it but it's too big a job for me to do by myself.

I'll keep the witch and her witchy accoutrements. I've collected some very cool, spooky things for her over the years. I'll keep my little monsters. I like them. I'll keep the big ghost I made from leftover fabric from Stacey's wedding dress. I'll keep some of the scary paintings and the lighting. I'm getting rid of most of the costumes. The plastic skeletons are going to go and I already got rid of the headstones. Those were very cool but they're just too big to store.

So basically I'm keeping things that would look good indoors for a Halloween party.

A little while ago I let Lio go outside for the first time. Ooh, big adventure. He LOVED it. He rolled around and got very dirty, like, "Wheee! I'm a boy!!!" He wandered over by the neighbor's house just as they were coming out their front door. He heard their voices and zoomed right back to me. Good boy. Home is the place to be. Paige and Gabe were leaving so I held Lio and stood next to the car while Gabe revved the engine and honked the horn. Lio was good and scared. Good boy. Cars are dangerous. We'll do some more outdoor adventuring another day.

belcat- a kitty ringer

Lindsay said...

"TOO scary, let's not go there"?!? What the hell is wrong with kids these days??

Don't get rid of any costumes before I have a chance to go through them! I might want to start a halloween box of my own!

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! Paige wants to go through all the stuff I'm getting rid of before it goes out the door.