Thursday, October 16, 2008

Oh yeah, I still got it

I went to see Dad after work. As usual, he was in the dining room. He hadn't eaten much of his dinner, just a few vegetables and his dessert. I tried to get him to eat a little more meat but after a couple bites he did the classic toddler avoidance moves. Then he said, "Hey, where are my dirty cookies?" I said, "You mean dessert?" He must have had brownies tonight. Dad's aphasia was in full swing. I told him he had already eaten them. I got the uke out and started to play for him.

He almost always has the same man sitting next to him. His name is Mr. Hammond (Jim would be amused) and he's always out of it, like, totally. One of the staff will come by every once in a while and try to wake him up to take a bite, and he'll usually refuse it. One day when I was there he was sitting there with his head down muttering, "Jesus... Jesus...oh shit, oh shit.... Jesus", etc. Then he perked up and listened to my playing and said, "Hey, you're pretty good on that thing." Well, I was glad to see he wasn't permanently vegged out.

Tonight while I was playing, and Dad was singing along, and Mr. Hammond was muttering, another man came in and sat at our table. He was visiting his wife, who must be in the end stages of something because she's just plain non-responsive. We had a very nice conversation. He asked me if Dad taught me to sing and I said, "Oh yeah", which was kind of a lie because Mom was the one who taught me to sing. Dad taught me how to draw. I said, "He's a very good singer. He was a Barbershopper and he was in a group that won the world championship." Then I started singing Alexander's Ragtime Band, which is one of the ooold Barbershop songs I always heard when I was little. Dad perked right up and sang with me and got pretty much all of the words. I was impressed. Then Mr. Hammond joined in, singing loud and smiling. I said, "Hey, Mr. Hammond! You know that song! Well, I'm going to have to look up the chords so I can play it for you next time." Mr, Hammond smiled and said, "You've got beautiful boobies."

I laughed and said, "Um, well, thank you!" The other man at the table said, "Couldn't you tell her she has beautiful lungs, because she's such a good singer?" I guess not, because Mr. Hammond said it again. "You've got beautiful boobies." So, ok, I guess it's time to go.

I got up and packed up my stuff. One of the nurses came by with her cart and said, "Mr. Hammond, I have to check your vitals" and started taking off his jacket. He said, "Ow! You're hurting my balls! Get your hands off my balls! Jesus! Shit!" The nurse pretty much ignored this. By the time she was done I was all packed up and giving Dad a hug goodbye. Again Mr, Hammond said, "You've got beautiful boobies." Dad got pretty mad then. He said, "You're not... you don't know... you're not going to get out of here alive!" Still pretty aphasic, but his message was clear. Clear to everyone except Mr. Hammond, who just sat there smiling. I said, "It's ok, Dad. It's ok, don't worry about it. I'm sure he meant it as a compliment." I hugged him again and left.

Anyone who saw me walking to my car might have thought I was an escapee from Skilled Nursing, because I was giggling so hard I know I looked like a crazy person.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was a funny story! What was that movie with Jack Nicholson about the people in a facility ? Who knows what really goes on in their minds and what will trigger them to respond? That man, Mr. Hammond, had a good day because of you! Maybe you've missed your calling!

on another subject- what happened to the link for your weight loss blog?

Hope YOU have a good day -
Mommala

vivage said...

Bwhahahaaha! Loved the story.

bmtbop = running to the toilet

Lindsay said...

Grandpa taught you to draw? I did not know that!

Donita Curioso said...

Anne- I was messing around with the settings and the link disappeared. I'll get it back.

Lindsay- Well, he didn't exactly teach me to draw. One of my earliest memories was when I was about 3 and he called me into his office and showed me a sketch he had done of one of my stuffed animals. It was this floppy little dog that I totally adored. I was blown away by the sketch. It was like this amazing revelation that someone could actually take a pencil and draw something on paper that came from real life. After that, I was hooked.

I don't remember Dad doing much singing until he joined Barbershop. But Mom sang all the time and she had a lovely voice. She also had this wonderful, lilting speaking voice. I think that's why I'm drawn to interesting voices. And man, when I hear someone speak who has an awful voice, that's pretty much my whole experience of the person. I have to work to get around it. The woman who teaches my weight loss class has one of the worst voices I've ever heard.

But when I hear someone with a good voice it's like, ahhhh... I just want to hear that person talk all the time, especially if they have a good brain attached to that voice.

Anonymous said...

KC gets that kind of thing all the time. Her patients want to fondle her or insult her. She never knows which is coming.

She also says singing brings them out of themselves. When "O Brother" came out and we all learned "I'll Fly Away", a few of her patients were just thrilled to hear her sing it.

Anonymous said...

Well, you do have beautiful boobies!!!!

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- One of the things I learned in that physiological psych class is music is one of the things that our brain holds onto when pretty much everything else has drained away.

One day Dad patted one of the nurses on the butt. He wasn't being grabby, he just wanted her attention and her butt was the closest thing to him. It was pretty funny. Part of the job, I guess.

Bob!- Ahem...

Anonymous said...

Hah! You should sing Mr. Hammond your bosom song!

Mary

ygoxm - you gots 'm, flaunt 'm!

Anonymous said...

P. S. Dean, who is KC?

Mary

Anonymous said...

Mary--

KC's my little sister.

-dean