Monday, March 17, 2008

Still here

Poor, stale blog.

Ok. Dad is in the hospice section of an air force retirement community. We're talkin' waaaaay across town, for me anyway. More convenient for Stacey and Drew. It's a pretty nice place. I just hop they'll be able to handle Dad's special needs. He has a bed that can be lowered almost all the way to the floor to minimize falls. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. Last night as they were transferring him he fell and hit his back on the AC unit in his room. They kept an eye on him last night and today he's doing ok.

The first time I visited him there I arrived while he was taking a nap. I sat there and watched him as he was waking up. I didn't speak or let him know I was there. I wanted to observe him to see what he does when he's alone. Man, he looked awful, really like a moving corpse. One of the nurses came in and woke him up. She tried to get him to eat but he only got three bites down. Another nurse came in and changed his Depends and got him into a hospital gown. Stacey and Scotty showed up soon after. We got him to drink some water which brightened him up quite a bit. I'm thinking they're not doing enough to keep him hydrated. That's a problem for obvious reasons but also because his meds can sometimes build up in his system and put him into a stupor. Then the hospice people get concerned and want to reduce his meds. We're trying to get them to understand that he needs his meds or he becomes agitated and combative. When I went there yesterday they told me he's been fighting them. Yeah, duh. Give him his meds and make sure he has enough to drink.

Yesterday he looked much better. I got there just as he was finishing up his lunch. He was in a good mood and the staff commented on his sense of humor. He even laughed at a couple of my jokes. But his aphasia was very bad. He'd start to ask a question and then get stuck halfway through it and start using the wrong words. When he fell last night the staff called Dede to let her know what happened and so she could talk to Dad and calm him down. She said it was pretty amazing. Everything Dad said was gibberish.

After he finished lunch we went back to his room. The nurses wanted to change his Depends so they hoisted him out of his wheelchair and into the bed. Even as weak as he's been he's always been able to stand. When they were lifting him I said, "Stand up, Dad. They need you to help them. Stand up." But he couldn't use his legs at all. It was like he was paralyzed. He's supposed to get some physical therapy at this place but they won't do it if he refuses or if he doesn't make progress. I don't know when they're planning to start. He sure needs it.

Everything else in my life is pretty good. Progress on the house is slow but at least it's progress. Yesterday I planted some Mexican feather bamboo in three wine barrels lined up outside the sunroom windows. I think in a year's time they'll shade those windows really well. They actually look pretty good right now. That was a big job. Three wine barrels hold a LOT of dirt.

We've been missing some uke practice. Jeff and Bill's mom has been having health issues so our practices have been put on hold. Gonna miss this week, too. Jeff and I haven't walked lately. I'm feeling blobby. Yeah, I know. There's no excuse. Well, I'm being kind of good. I get two 15 minute breaks when I work a full day. Instead of sitting around I'll go out and take some laps around the building. It helps wake me up when I start dragging in the afternoon.

I'm really enjoying my job. I really like the people in my office and I'm learning a lot. On slow days I can do my psych homework. I LOVE that.

Ok, gotta go to the store and buy some food for my rotten doggies.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the rotten doggies get the dog door you were planning?

-dean

Nancy said...

Hey, welcome back!

Glad they moved your Dad - it sounds better than the old place. It's sad how bad he's doing, though.

How cool that you can do homework on your job! I used to sneak a little in on my old job at Agilent, too - of course, it was always work-related, so easy to sneak.

Wish I could play `uke with you!

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- No. Right now I'm enjoying a doggie break. I haven't let them in the house since we moved here. I've brought Gracie in a couple of times when I was spending the whole night alone. I've been letting them sleep in the sunroom at night. Not as warm as the house but it's not bad. Now that it's warming up (and somebody crapped on the rug a couple times) I'm having them sleep outside. They can get into the garage.

Three dogs is just too many for me, especially since Lady is deaf, Boz is a jerk and Gracie is emotionally needy. Also, Lady has been known to pee in the house, although I don't think she's done it here. I'm already tripping over boxes and uninstalled ceiling fans, I don't want to have to be stepping over a dog all the time. Maybe when one of them croaks I'll be more willing to have them in the house again. Not to be cold or nuthin' but I'm hoping it's Lady.

Nancy- They encourage the student employees to do their homework when there's nothing going on. I'm not really a student employee. I'm an employee who is taking a class, but hey, it counts. I love it. I'm writing my essay at work. And the most awesome thing about it is I'm far enough ahead that I can leave it on the weekends. I don't even think about it.

Now, if I get the on-campus job I've applied for the whole thing's off. It's a support staff position in the counseling office. I've been told it's a very busy office all year round. I'd rather be busy than have nothing to do. But I wouldn't have time for homework. I'd have to do it at home and on the weekends. BUT it's full-time with benefits. So, we'll see. I'm a bit light on the skills... ok, I'm way light on the skills, but the rest of the job description fits me to a tee. And since it's on campus I could ride my bike to work. But it's a big if. You know how that goes.

One day we shall uke together and there will be peace in the land.

Nancy said...

Full-time with benefits; cool! Got fingers & toes crossed for you.

How many rabbits do you have now?

Donita Curioso said...

Four, but we're getting rid of the extra one. Paige's boyfriend's brother found it running around at school. They didn't want it to get hit by a car or something so they caught it and gave it to Paige. The other bunnies have cool personalities, this one's kind of a dud. On Monday we're getting the male bunny fixed. He's going through a horny, springtime phase. The other two females are spayed but he won't leave them alone.

I really like our bunnies. I don't want bunnies but I like the ones we have. The two females are Eddie and Walnut, the male is Vesuvius. Don't ask me how they came up with that name. Eddie is your basic albino white rabbit. She's the one who was running around the farm and she's our favorite. Walnut is a rex dwarf. She looks like a football. Vesuvius is also a dwarf rex but his fur is different from Walnut's. He's ultra soft. He's black with a light underbelly and white around the eyes. He's gorgeous.

vivage said...

Glad you're back, sounds like you guys have been busy.

Homework at work, yay. I sit and cruise the web, I think I'd rather be doing homework.

Ithink you shoujld collect your bunny fur and make something out of it. With 4 bunnies you should have lots of fur to work with!

Donita Curioso said...

Well, their fur is really short so I don't know what I'd do with it. Can you spin bunny fur? Eddie's fur is good for making dark clothes light. She sheds like crazy.

I got an A on my first psych test. Yay!

vivage said...

Welllll, really you need angoras but I'll bet ya you can spin your bunnies undercoat somehow. I know people will spin dog hair (I know, ewwwww).

Anonymous said...

Yay! An A! I told you you'd be overqualified!

-dean

ocyoys--triumph among a group of people after outlasting the group's most annoying member