Friday, March 07, 2008

Doing better

Well, at last as far as the bump on his head is concerned. I don't think they've done any tests but yesterday Dede said if the bleed wasn't getting better we'd have known by now. Oh yeah, Dede came down and spent the night with Dad last night. I just got off work and came home for a clothing change. I'm going to take the evening shift.

Dad is still fidgety and is being kept in a drugged-up fog. Otherwise he'd be unmanageable. It's amazing how he can fight through the sedatives. Last night the hospice person came by and talked to Dede about our options. I'm not concerned anymore about having Dad be in a familiar environment. He's goofy no matter where he is.

Yesterday Dede played some Chet Atkins for Dad on her iPod and he seemed to enjoy it. I'm taking the uke with me tonight. He enjoyed that when he was at Community Care. He liked to sing along then but I don't think he can do that now.

So, now I guess we wait and watch the Alzheimer's follow its course. He could have another stroke or he could take another fall. Or he could just continue on until he forgets how to do everything, like how to swallow. He still knows who we all are but I think he'll lose that soon. It's so surreal that I'm taking that psych class now. It's Physiological Psychology which is all about brain function. It's almost like I can see Dad's brain.

Ok, Donita, go get something awful for dinner and then get over there.

7 comments:

vivage said...

I hope your evening is going ok. I'm thinking of you right this minute.

Donita Curioso said...

It wasn't bad. More of the usual. Tonight I made sure the nurse gave him a sleeping pill. He hadn't had one for the last two nights. Stacey is staying with him for the rest of the night. He was pretty well zonked when I left but he was still moving around. Dude, let it go.

We had a couple of fights but he's so weak now that he can't keep it going. At one point he got himself into a really bad position with his butt up in the air and his head down and wedged between the rails. The IV tube was wrapped around his body. I kept trying to move him back while trying to protect the IV. He was fighting me the whole time. It was nuts.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You don't mean "shouting matches" when you say "fights" anymore.

--dean

fipta--a shift in word meaning

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! There's shouting when he's having a real bad episode. Mostly his hands start going all over the place and he starts cussing. He'll try to hit and bite but we can see it coming and move out of the way. I had to warn the nurse the other night when she was testing his blood sugar because she had her hand very close to his face and he was pissed. I could see that jaw opening up. We also had kind of a fun moment when she was giving him an injection into his IV. He tried to slap her hand away and she dropped the syringe and it rolled under him. We were trying to pick him up and get it before the needle poked him. You really can't pick him up when he's flailing about. The nurse and I were actually laughing a little because the situation was just so goofy. Hold his hands, roll him over, be careful of the IV, watch out for his teeth, Dad, Dad, no Dad, Dad let go, let go Dad, no, no, where's that damn syringe?

Anonymous said...

Hi Doni,

I tried to call you yesterday, but the # I have is out of service. Could you email me your current # and tell me what's a good time to call? Thx!

Love,
Michael K

Nancy said...

Girl, where are you?

Hope you're doing ok,
N

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, sorry about the delay. Things are ok. I shall post anew.