Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It just keeps going and going

Dad had a bad episode today. I wasn't there to see it. The hospice people called Drew to have him come over and calm Dad down. Drew said he could hear Dad yelling in the background while he was talking to them on the phone.

I went over there after work. When I got there Drew was at the nurses station talking to a nurse. He filled me in on what had happened. They're just too light on Dad's meds there. I think maybe now they get it. They gave him a mellower and put him to bed. He was sleeping when I got there. Drew and I had a nice long talk. When he left I went into Dad's room. Over his bed is a piece of paper that says Call me Mr. Lang and it has all our names written on it. I added, Visitors and Staff, please offer Mr. Lang a drink. He needs more fluids. Thank you.

I think Dad will do better if he has consistent medication and enough to drink. It kind of amazes me that these places seem a little baffled by Dad's sundowners. He can't be the craziest AD mo-fo they've ever seen. I sometimes get this fleeting (thank gawd!) thought that we'd be able to care for him better than anyone I've seen so far. But, of course, that's INSANE.

Jeff and Bill's mom also had an "event" today. These old people are trying to do us in. Are WE (people my age) going to do the same thing to our kids when we're old? Surely... not? Eh? Does everybody do this stuff when they get old? My grandfather was a handfull, my favorite aunt was abusive to her daughter, Deans grandmother made everyone want to kill her. Isn't it enough just to be a little cranky and be done with it? Jeez!

Lindsay and Paige, brace yourselves.

Tomorrow there's a big meeting in the office. All the bigwigs and their assistants are participating. That means everybody in the chancellor's office across the hall will be in the meeting. They're having me go over to answer their phones for two hours. I think I should answer the phones as Ernestine. "A gracious hello!" Snort!

Actually, I'm terrified.

6 comments:

vivage said...

Don't be terrified. Their phones won't even ring since the important people who call them will probably be meeting with them!

It IS weird that these places that take the elderly doen't really seem to be able to handle the issues that come with elderly patients. The MIL's place isn't really for those who have *issues* but still I'm worried because they seem to be wringing their hands over the MIL's medical issues and mental confusion instead of having a clue on how to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

What's terrifying? They're all in a meeting: you take messages. You can write; I've seen you do it. And you get to fill out those little pink "While You Were Out" sheets.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, I'm not really terrified. I know they chose me because I've got good phone skills. Dr. Deb actually commented on that one day.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, that phone rang and rang and rang. It rang three times and one of them was a wrong number. One woman I talked to got a bit bitchy with me because the chancellor's day was full (they had given me his calendar) and she wanted a meeting right away.

Tomorrow I'm going to sit in on a meeting with Dr.Deb and the chief of police. Gonna take notes.

Stacey sent us all an email about her and Scotty's visit with Dad last night. Hoo boy. He's just crazy, cranky Stan. What if Airforce Village can't handle him? Is the next stop a mental hospital?

vivage said...

LOL, the self important who think the big bosses must clear their calendars!

So 3 calls huh? Hopefully you got to relax once you realized the phones were not gonna be ringing off the hook.

I hope you guys don't have to move him again. Maybe it just takes a while for them to figure out what he needs. I hope they don't tell you he isn't far enough advanced for their services.

Donita Curioso said...

The self important. It actually made me laugh a little. I told her everyone was in a meeting and I was just there to take messages. So of course the next step in her logic is I can just go into his email and change his calendar. She was ANNOYED with ME because I wasn't going to help her. Effin' puh-leeze!

After I figured out that not much was going to happen I grabbed a Smithsonian and read it cover to cover.

Yesterday Dr.Deb's assistant was out so I sat in her office and played assistant. I love how Debbie will just give me things to do as if I know how to do everything. So far it's worked out ok. I didn't get to sit in on the meeting, though. She had someone else take notes. Got a free lunch out of the deal. When they have these big meetings they have RCC food services do the catering.