Thursday, January 22, 2009

Blogging from work

Hoo boy, things are dead around here. I've surfed the political blogs, bought a couple things on eBay and spent a little time on Chordie. I've taken two walks around the building. I've answered the phone three times. It's DEAD HERE.

So, I can sit here and think about what I want to do with my house. I've been working on window treatments for my kitchen and dining room. I bought three capiz shell curtains at Cost Plus and cut them apart. I also got some extras on eBay. I'm re-stringing them over the windows. I know it's hard to picture. The shells are brown, turquoise blue, sage green, periwinkle purple, deep red, and white and they come in three sizes. I'm stringing them on black crochet thread. So far I really like how they look. I'll top them off with a cornice covered with brown fabric and embellish with cowrie shells and black beads. Trust me, it's cute.

This will help me figure out what color I want to paint the kitchen. I bought some chalk board paint at Home Depot the other day. I'm going to make a big, black chalkboard in my hallway. One thing I've been missing in my house is a central message area. I think it'll be fun to have a huge one in the hall between the kitchen and office. I have a feeling it will be mostly used as a drawing surface, but maybe there will be some room left for phone messages and shopping lists.

I also want to finally get going on removing the rest of the wallpaper remnants from the walls. Ivy thinks it's great fun to jump up and claw the wallpaper in the kitchen. She doesn't know that she's actually helping the removal process. The wallpaper in three areas has been shredded. If I really wanted to keep it I'd be pissed. I don't think she'll want to scratch the walls once they're painted.

I brought home color chips for the other bathroom. I think I have that color picked out. Gotta remove the wallpaper in there, too. Too bad the tub and sink are in such bad shape. Painting the walls won't make the cruddy porcelain look better. Gotta repair the wall where the heater was removed and patched with a piece of cheap wood paneling. Come on, couldn't they have sprung for a pice of sheetrock?

That ought to do it for now. Oh yeah, the yards. They've gotten a bit out of control. I'm going to call Hector and have him just take care of it. Money well spent.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used chalk board paint in my mural in the old game room. It didn't work as well as I thought it would. Maybe I didn't prepare the surface right, or maybe I cheaped out on the paint.

-dean

Anonymous said...

P.S. It would never erase well. I always had to use a wet rag. -dean

Donita Curioso said...

Hmm... Oh well, I'm still going to give it a try. If it doesn't work I guess I could buy a big chalk board.

Someday. The paint was 14 bucks.

VO said...

The curtain sounds fab.

I have no experience with chalk paint...but it sounds like fun even if you have to use a wet sponge to clean it.

Anonymous said...

I think I did something wrong. I think it might have been that the wall was a little nubby, very lightly textured. Or maybe I didn't put enough coats on. Or maybe the temperature/humidity/drying time matters, although the can didn't say anything about that.

I'm going to google chalkboard paint and see what it says.

-dean

persitst--how the spa charges

Anonymous said...

It wasn't any more difficult to put on the chalkboard paint then it was to put on any other paint.
I basecoated my walls with Kilz, two coats. It needed 3 coats of the chalkboard paint each layer being painted on in different directions to get good coverage.


Oooh. This sounds even cooler:

There also is a magnetic paint.
I'm not sure who makes it, but you paint an area with it, then you can paint over top (to match the rest of the room if you like). The painted area is then magnetic. I would like to combine the two and have a magnetic chalkboard.


-dean

Anonymous said...

Ok, just one more:

Make Your Own Chalkboard Paint!

3 teaspoons acrylic paint [colour of choice]
1 1/2 teaspoons glazing medium [water based]
1/2 teaspoon powder tile grout [Not Sanded]

How to:

Mix together all of the ingredients listed above, blend really well and that's it. You now have chalkboard paint! You
should only mix as much as you will need for your project. It doesn't keep well, but can be stored in an air tight
container for a few hours. After a longer period of time, the paint will begin to thicken a little and become a bit brittle.

Helpful Hints:
Apply your paint with a regular paint brush and allow each coat of paint to dry completely, before applying the next.
After each coat of paint, gently sand the paint with a 400 grit or higher grit sandpaper and wipe away any dust. This
will help keep your painted surface nice and smooth.

You also need to condition your chalkboard, once you have finished painting. Be sure your paint is completely dry.
Place a piece of chalk on the side and rub over the entire chalkboard surface, covering the entire area with chalk.
Using a felt cloth, wipe off the chalk you just applied. With a slightly damp cloth, wipe the chalkboard clean.

Now your chalkboard is ready!


Sounds to me like the sanding between coats is the trick.

-dean

Billy Canary said...

There was some big time police action in the hood. Some guy holed up in a house on Laramie. Check pe.com the local section. There goes the neighborhood.

Donita Curioso said...

I went there but they wanted me to sign up as a member. But I got the gist from the headline.

Dean- I thought about making the board magnetic as well. I'm considering it. Interesting recipe for chalkboard paint. You can mix small enough quantities to experiment.

Anonymous said...

Don't put your credit cards next to your magnetic boards!

Mary

torksten: The type of new and improved magnetic board and paint that won't damage your credit cards.

Use Torksten brands!

VO said...

Hey, maybe you can make a velcro wall too!