Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oh, oh, oh!

If the Soweto Gospel Choir ever comes to your town, or anywhere near your town, or someplace not near your town, GO SEE THEM. Moley de Holy.
Jeff and I went to their concert at the Walt Disney Concert Hall last night. The show was sold out but there were enough cancellations to get us in the door. It was kind of expensive but like Jeff said, "They gotta feed the mouse." I'm sure another venue would be less costly. But I'd say it was worth every penny. This is a show that sticks with you.

Bright costumes, amazing African dancing and harmonies that carried you places you've never been before. Many of the songs they did were quite familiar, but were arranged in a way that was so different and new. Normally, when I hear a song that I know I'll kind of hum along, but last night all I wanted to do was listen and learn. Jeff was wondering how they came up with those harmonies. I had that same thought, but at the same time I felt like there was no other way it could have been done. Their performance of Amazing Grace was stunning.

They ended the show with several Christmas carols. It was such a pleasure to hear those songs with an African gospel twist. Especially Silent Night, which was haunting and beautiful, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas, which was just plain fun.

Feeling a little dancey today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After L.A. they're off to Europe, but I'll keep an eye peeled.

http://www.sowetogospelchoir.com/PERFORMANCES.html

dean

VO said...

They were at our university in April 07. I guess we missed it.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Best show ever. Glad you could come.

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- They said they tour for most of the year. I'll bet they'll be back around soon.

Vo- Dang! We'll be ready next time.

BABoR- The whole evening was a good time, including the ride there and back. Thanks, good buddy.

micani- a japanese toffee candy