Sunday, December 28, 2008

I'm home.

Feeling a little...meh. There's so much here that needs to be done. I'll start on it tomorrow. First order of business- deal with the fridge.

I had a very nice time at Dede's. Did some shopping, walked three miles down a lovely nature trail, had an awesome dinner (not the pork chop), and hung out with some really cool people (my sibs and spouses and kids).

Yeah, I feel poopy. All I want to do is clean this house. Gotta deal with the fridge. I need to get my car fixed. Pay the bills.

Lio is getting too fat. It's kind of hard to deal with that because Ivy is a light eater. I'll wait until they're both hungry, fill their bowls, wait about 10 or 15 minutes and then take the food away. That's not working very well right now because we have Kyle's cats and they have their own food bowls, which I'm sure Lio raids. Anyway, it's something else I have to deal with. Once the Carrozza cats are gone I'm installing that cat door and limiting the food. Lio is a pudge.

Paige is getting a Corgi puppy, like, soon. She knows I'm not real happy about that. We're not puppy-ready. So, ok, we'll jump into action and do the best we can.

Oh dear, what about that cat door?

I bought a new microwave. Yay. Actually, that's a very good thing. You should see my old microwave. The paint has been peeling off from the inside, which has caused it to rust, which made it impossible to clean, which was depressing to look at.

So yeah, meh. I'm glad Christmas is over. I'm glad I have so much time off so I can get some things done around here. After the first of the year I'm pulling some money out of the retirement fund so I can pay off some big items and handle some repairs. We're all looking forward to having 2009 be a very good year. Really. I mean, come ON!

2003- Jim loses his job. We move down here. Dad seems to be losing it and we don't know why.
2004 through 2006- We know why Dad was losing it and now we're all in AD caregiver mode, which sucks.
2007- We lose Jim and Dad becomes reeeally difficult. We work on getting the farm ready to sell.
2008- Dad has a stroke, goes completely bonkers, we spend many nights in the hospital dealing with him. We finally get him settled. Mindy's sister dies suddenly, a couple months later she loses her mom. Mindy and Drew inherit 2 houses full of stuff and several special-needs animals. Drew is also dealing with his own set of health problems. Bro-in-law Bob is also having health issues.

So, that's five years of crapola. I'm not forgetting the good things that have happened. I'm very happy with my job and I love my house, as challenging as it is sometimes. My girls are healthy, happy people. I'm losing weight and starting to look pretty damn good. And hey, we're getting a new president! God bless us everyone.

And now I'm going to go clean some litter boxes.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Hey, welcome home. Good luck with the fridge. You'll probably start feeling better after you get a chance to put things back into place. I felt a lot better after taking down the Christmas tree yesterday.They're really pretty, especially at night with all the lights, but after awhile, it's annoying. Still, all the furniture is not put back where it's supposed to be...
Welsh Corgis are cute. I'd want one if they didn't shed.






I like your new background color!

Nancy

Donita Curioso said...

I like the background color but I need to mess around and find colors that will match well with it. I'm changing it because Stacey said it's hard for her to read on her screen. I've noticed that the black background doesn't look good on my screen at work. The whole thing looks good on my screen at home.

Paige brought the Corgi puppy home last night. She is certainly a cutie patootie. Her name is Charlie and she's a tri color. She's not a tiny baby, though. She's almost 4 months old. She was pretty nervous, which is understandable because she just left her mom and litter mates. She looooves Gabe.

The cats were so funny around her. They were fascinated but scared. Lio was a total poof. Ivy was the brave one. She kept inching closer and closer. I think eventually they'll all be great friends.

Today I'm going to clean and pack up Christmas. I know what you mean, Nancy. The lights and decorations are nice but it feels good to take them all down. I might have to do something bright and cheery to get me through the rest of the winter, though. I have a lot of leftover origami paper. maybe I'll do something with that and combine it with some lights.

Ok, work to do. I'm going to vacuum out the back of the fridge and see if that helps.

Anonymous said...

Re: all the unhealthy/lost people: I think this is part of what our parents meant when they said getting old is not for sissies.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Boy, it's so true. The mistakes you make seem more costly when you know you don't have as much time to fix them. When you're young, good health is a given. When you're older you have to work at it.

I do feel like I have a big opportunity to create a whole second life for myself. It has its sucky moments but those are getting smaller, fewer and farther between. I bounce back and forth between being excited and creative, and being scared and unsure. Loneliness is a problem sometimes. I don't have anyone that I just hang out with. I do miss that. But in the last year I've met so many new people and that has been really fun. So, it's a mixed bag, but when has it not been?

Paige just brought the puppy over. Puppies and kittens are so freakin' awesome. Too bad they grow up to be big ol' dogs and cats. Just kidding.

People think I'm crazy for getting my new cats but those two kittens have done a lot for my general mood. Ivy is so entertaining to watch as she plays, and Lio is a love monster. They're both good company.

So, yeah, I have too many animals. Soon I'll have two fewer dogs because Gracie and Lady are so old. Managing everyone else will be easier then. The rabbits now have their big, roomy cage, which makes me feel much better. The other two cats live outdoors all the time. All I have to do with them is make sure they have food and water and regular vet care. Otherwise they really don't impact my life that much.

Ok, back to work.