Monday, April 24, 2006

Naked Trucker and Open Mike

Jim had a gig on Saturday. He played with Dave Hockett's band at a posh party up in the hills near Temecula. He said it went really well and the house they played at was huge and awesome.

Lindsay and I went to Naked Trucker. We drove down early and met up with Kyle and Arica and had dinner. Chris came later. Again, a fun show. Jill Sobule was a special guest. I enjoyed her a lot. Her songs were intelligently written and she rocked on guitar.

After the show we went to House Of Pie. Gruber (the trucker) and Andy Paley (composer who wrote the Moobeard music and a bunch of other stuff) showed up later with two girls that I had met earlier. We had a fun time with them. Gruber picked up the tab for everyone. Nice. I was hoping I'd be able to talk to Gruber and Andy about the TV's Kyle show but it wasn't the right scene. I'd like to get their input on doing live shows around L.A. Another time. I got home around 4am.

Sunday we practiced the Kyle stuff at Ken's. It was a good rehearsal, very productive. Then Jim, Lindsay, Kyle and I drove to Claremont for open mike. This one wasn't nearly as good as last month. Most of the performers were snoozers. We screwed up a bit. Jim and I flubbed a few times and at one point Kyle forgot the words to the song. This time Kyle didn't play accordion and I played dumbek instead of the uke. That left Jim to carry the song on keyboard. We sounded kinda puny. So, it wasn't the big bang we gave them last time but it was a good learning experience. Next time, more instruments and more practice. They're letting people take 7 minutes to perform now so next time we're going to do 2 songs.

This afternoon I worked on cleaning out the big trailer we now have parked behind the house. It's a 40 foot container van that we're going to use for storage. Dad came out just as I was finishing up for the day. He saw the oil that had been spilled on the ground by out back gate. He said, "Hey, don't let anyone do that again. That's bad!" AAARRGH! I've been bitching about Timio's oil spills for 2 years now and his attitude was always hey, no big deal. Then he'd tell me about how much Timio has done for him. Well, now Timio has moved out and left a ton of crap and numerous oil spills AND a litter of kittens in the barn! Dad said, "Next time you see him here follow him home so we'll know where he lives." Yeah, right.

I'm going for a walk.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize I hadn't introduced you to the two girls in question. The small, especially pale girl is Jillinda Palmer who plays keyboards for The Breakups, does cartoon sound effects for Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, and the other is her roommate Lisa.

cmjsjxh= CMJ's special issue on what you'd get if you crossed J-Lo with MC Hammer.

vivage said...

Yeah, sounds like a fun, full weekend. Hey, I loved Jill S's first album (does she have more?).

jpnfuga: Go fug yourself website in japan.

Donita Curioso said...

Kyle- Ah, Lindsay told me that Jillinda does sound effects but I didn't know she's in The Breakups.

I'm the idiot here. I could have introduced myself. I have to remember not to get all introverted when I'm with people I don't know.

We had a little excitement here this afternoon. David the junk guy must have tossed a cigarette down when he was working out back. Started a small fire. It's pretty dry out there and it's breezy today so it could have been much worse. Dad called and told us to throw some hoses in the truck and head out back. He had caught David just as he was leaving and had him start dealing with the fire. We had to hook 3 hoses together and the water pressure was really low but we managed to put it out. Now Jim and I smell like smoke.

Virginia- jpnfuga! Perfect!

Anonymous said...

*points* I toootally told you Jillinda was in the Breakups! =P

What has become of the kittens?

fqnuv - An abbreviation for the exclamation, "Fuck this! I've had enough!"

Donita Curioso said...

I believe you. I probably had a brain cloud. Sometimes I don't pay enough attention. Whack me, please.

The kittens are in a box in the barn. They look like they're about 3 or 4 weeks old. Next to the box is a dish of food (looks pretty fresh) and a bowl of water. They didn't look too energetic. I'm going to check on them tomorrow.

I have to decide how I'm going to deal with this. The last batch of kittens I found I took to this cat rescue woman. That was kind of a weird experience. Those were older and clearly abandoned. These kitties have a mother somewhere and it's certain she'll be hard to catch. I'm sure she's one of Timio's cats. If I see him I'll ask him about it. He still parks his landscaping trucks here. I do NOT trust him to take any kind of humane action with these cats. I'm pretty sure it was Natalie who left the food.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out. I really don't want to get too stressed about it. I'll just deal.

zfeyby- Tina Fey's baby.

Donita Curioso said...

There, I edited the post a little. Now it doesn't sound like Jillinda and Lisa were a couple of girls Andy picked up by the stage door.

rybnup- A frog-flavored soda from Japan.

vivage said...

*rybnup* Bwshahahah, swamp water.

hpiguu: Hippo pig guru

Donita Curioso said...

Wheeee! What a fun band practice we had last night! We have now worked on 8 Kyle songs. We're gettin' close to a show! These songs are fun, fun, fun.

Paige has been taking care of the mom cat and her kittens. The mom cat it very friendly so it won't be a problem catching her and getting her fixed. Then we'll need to find homes for all of them. These kitties are getting some major snuggles. Last night Lindsay, Paige and Kyle spent a lot of time with them. They are awful cute.

The kittens. The kittens are awful cute. Lindsay, Paige and Kyle are also cute but they're not in the same league as teeny, tiny kittens.

Donita Curioso said...

Well, the mom cat and kittens are gone. We think Timio came and picked them up. A bit of a disappointment. We liked having them around and Paige was taking such good care of them. I doubt if Timio will do much for them. If I see him I'll ask about them. I'll also suggest they get the mom cat fixed and get her her shots.

Damn, I wish people would take care of their pets the way they're supposed to. It's not that hard.