Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Update

Last Friday Paige and I went to see Eric Schwartz at Claremont. I thought we were going to see the singing Eric Schwartz, who (whom?) I have been a fan of for a while, but what I didn't know is there's a rapping Eric Schwartz and that's who was playing at Flappers on Friday. Rapping Eric Schwartz is also very funny, and he's a very nice guy.

After Paige and I were seated, Rick came up and asked if I'd like to perform. Um, yes, of course! I zoomed to the car and got my uke. I did seven minutes at both shows. There were thirteen people at the first show, ten at the second. The first audience was ok, the second didn't seem to have a pulse. The other comics had to struggle a bit to get them to laugh. They laughed at my songs, but not at my little jokes. Eric was very good in both of his performances, but towards the end of the second show even he seemed to bog down. The connection just wasn't there. I didn't buy the videos this time.

So, I've got two more performances under my belt. I wasn't nervous at all this time. I still need to work on some stand-up material. Last night I started an eight week workshop with Bill Word. He produces several shows and comedy contests in Southern California and he teaches these workshops. I enjoyed last night's class, but it's hard to get through three hours in a room full of would be comics all trying to out-funny each other. There were three guys there last night who were finishing up their classes, and they were quite chatty. They won't be there next week. I'm hoping things will be more productive.

I like Bill, and I think I'm going to get a lot out of this workshop. This Saturday there's a free beginning stand-up workshop at Flappers, so I'll go to that as well. I want to learn as much as I can before I do my fifteen minutes on October 7th.

Sunday was my birthday. Lindsay, Paige, Kyle and I all went to see the Old Farts Funnies show at the Burbank Flappers. Oh my. Ron Geezer was there, and he was the funniest comic to perform. I'm sorry to say the rest of the show was a bit sad. The audience was small, which I'm sure didn't help, but all of the comics had this old-fashioned style that seemed even older when performed by old people. It makes me wonder, does anyone ever give them honest feedback?

Anyway, I left there feeling encouraged about my own upcoming performance. The October show has been cancelled because they're filming that day. The next Old Farts show will be November 27th. Thanksgiving weekend. Could be a very small audience indeed. I gotta pack the place with my peeps!

For my birthday Lindsay, Kyle and Paige gave me money to pay for my comedy classes. I also got a gift certificate for a professional bra fitting. Woo hoo! I'll be learn-ed and lifted!

No comments: