Saturday, September 03, 2011

Holy shit, it happened!

It wasn't planned. It just happened. I made my debut tonight (last night?) at Flappers.

I went to the Friday night show for another installment of Donita's Comedy Education. Tonight is was James P. Connelly as the headliner, Laura Hayden as the emcee, and Mike Estime as the featured performer. What a great show! Twenty-three people in the audience and they seemed to be in a pretty good mood. Anyway, they laughed, and all the comics were very good.

After the show, manager Rick came by my table and asked, "Did you bring your ukulele?" I told him yes, it's in the car. He told me I should talk to him later. Eek! When most of the audience had left, he told me he might be able to give me seven minutes in the next show, which was about to start. One of the comics didn't show up, so he asked me to step in. I knew it was too short notice to get all my friends there, but I quickly called Paige, Lindsay and Tracey. Paige had to work the next day, and Lindsay was at the Flappers in Burbank. Tracey jumped in her van and made it there with time to spare.

I basically ran to my car to grab my uke. Man, I was so out of breath when I got back! No problem, I had plenty of time to settle down. I went back through the kitchen to the "green room" and chatted briefly with the other comics who were hanging out there. I was way too excited and I knew I really needed to get a grip on myself. I ducked down a hallway and did some deep breathing and planned out what I was going to say. I'm very glad I've been practicing at home for the last couple weeks.

The second show consisted of Adam Feuerberg as the emcee, Ron Geezer, Rawle Dee, and Mike Estime, with Laura Hayden as the headliner. Right as it started, I ran down the hall to use the restroom. When I got back, Tracey had arrived and was sitting in the back with the other comics. We watched the show together. I was the fourth to go on. There were eleven people in the audience and they were laughing at EVERYTHING. I was grateful and relieved. Really, I couldn't have asked for a better audience, considering no one there knew me.

Finally, it was my turn. I got up there and launched into it. I'm not even sure of what I said! I was both comfortable and extremely nervous. But that audience was freakin' awesome, so we all settled in and had fun together. I loved them! Since this was so unplanned, I didn't have a guitar cord for the uke. Oh well. It worked out ok anyway.

I did The Bosom Song and Phone Sex with a little banter here and there. Everyone laughed in all the right places. I had a great time! I was shaking like a leaf, but I had lots of fun. And then, it was over. I went back to my seat. The other comics shook my hand and congratulated me. Man, I was happy. I grabbed Tracey's leg so she could see how much I was shaking. Energy, energy, pow, pow!

I went back to the green room to pack up my uke and to talk to Rick. He was pleased with my performance and asked me how much more material I have. I told him I have four strong songs and that I could do twelve to fifteen minutes. He said I should be prepared to do fifteen minutes next time. He suggested that I take one of their classes so I can get myself some stand-up material. I told him I was planning to do that anyway. Then he said, "A gem like you doesn't come along very often." Oh my. That was quite a compliment.

Before I left, Ron Geezer asked for my contact information. He has a troupe of older comics, and he said I'd fit in nicely with what they're doing. Then, just as I was on my way out, Laura told me about a bar gig that she does in Redondo Beach (I said I'd be happy to make the drive) and said I should get in touch with her on Facebook. Soon, I'll have a video of my performance tonight. Heh! I'll finally be able to see what I did and said!

So, soon I'll be appearing again. For now, these will be unpaid gigs. No problem. I'll take classes, see other comics, and get myself some stand-up chops. And next time, I'll pack the room with my loved ones.

Jeez, can you believe it?

Thank you, Deven!


13 comments:

snead said...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! ALL RIGHT!! And networking, too! Wow, how fuckin' coooooooooooooool!!! I know A Celebrity!! That is so fabulous. I'm so happy for you. Woohoo!! I dance!

Your friend, Deven said...

AWESOME! I truly hope you never lose the love, excitement and passion that you experienced tonight :) It was thrilling to read MIGHTY 'D!' Who needs nerves when you have talent :)

Lindsay said...

That's so COOL mom! I'm so proud of you! We will be there for your next show, whistling and hooting from the front row!

Windfurfer said...

Whoa, no kidding. Nice, nice, nice. You're a natural!

VO said...

Coolness to the nth degree! You'd better call us next time! hahaha, all of your friends will pack the house and hoot and holler! Congrats on a job well done!

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, my friends! Whew! I'm on the train to crazy town now. So much to do!

So! My goals are (not necessarily in this order)-
1. Write a LOT more material
2. Take a stand-up class
3. Get some head shots
4. Get good at this shit so I can play Burbank

That'll do for now.

Anonymous said...

A GEM. Yes, now they know what we've always known...

Michele

Anonymous said...

WHOOOOOOOOOO f'nnnnnnnnnnn HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

(Mary)

Donita Curioso said...

Love you guys!

OnionKim said...

Kimberly says:
I want to be one of your loved ones.

Donita Curioso said...

Watch for blog updates, Kim. You can join us and be a loved one.

rytysdad said...

I am so frickin proud of you! Wish I could be there. Wow!