Saturday, September 17, 2011

Ok, mark your calendars

October 7th at Flappers Claremont, 10:00pm.

That's what Rick told me tonight. He said he'd like to have me perform as a guest at the 8:00 show, but that's not his decision. He'll try to use his influence.

Last night and tonight I went to the Deven and Joel shows at Claremont. Man, they are so much fun to watch. From the time they hit the stage they are in constant motion. So much energy!

Tonight's audience was a bit better. Sometimes it seems like people are just daring the comics to make them laugh, but it wasn't like that tonight. When I first got there and was checking in with Onely, three people came walking out and demanded their money back. Onely asked them why they were unhappy, but they wouldn't tell her. They just insisted on getting their money back. Later, I told Deven about it and she thought that maybe they were unhappy about the two item minimum. Anyway, it was good that they left, because they would have been a big, grumpy, dead spot in the room.

So! I need to prepare for October 7th. I have some jokes and bits I've been working on, but so far my only audience has been my own reflection in the bedroom mirror. On September 24th I'm going to a free, beginning stand-up workshop, and on October 4th I'll be starting a beginning stand-up class in Burbank. That's cutting it close, but I think I'll be ok. The stand-up stuff is just there to link the songs. Tonight Deven told me I can talk to her if I have any questions. She teaches classes at Flappers and she assists the pros when they're preparing for performances, so it's pretty awesome having her in my corner. She's my comedy mama.

Heh! Tonight when I walked back to the green-ish room, Rick asked me if I was there to replace a comic who hadn't shown up. That made me laugh. I could have done it, but they decided it wouldn't work to have two ukulele acts in the same night (Deven plays uke in their show). Rick asked me if I had any stand-up. Nope. Ask me a year from now! It kind of blows my mind to think of me doing straight stand-up without my songs, but really, I should be able to do that. And that makes this whole thing seem completely nuts.

But I can feel my confidence level creeping up. Being a comic was a completely foreign idea to me a couple months ago. Sing my songs, yes. Stand-up, no. But now I can see it like a little sparkling light off in the future. Man, back when I was taking care of Dad and then dealing with Jim's death I kept thinking, shit, Mother Universe sure has a twisted sense of humor.

Looks like she's not done with me yet.

No comments: