Sunday, November 29, 2009

Stuffitude

The Thanksgiving meal turned out really well. The least successful dish was the stuffing- too dry. Everything else was really good. Boy, it sure is tricky getting everything to come together at once. Having another oven would really make things easier.

One Friday we had dinner with the rest of the family at Stacey's. That meal was crazy awesome. Scotty is the supreme grill master. Ok, now that we've had a few days of huge meals and tons of leftovers it's time to get back to food sanity.

I've been having a lot of back trouble lately. I get muscle spasms that stop me in my tracks for 10 to 15 seconds. If I remember to relax and breathe they release pretty quickly, but once my back starts acting up like that there's not much I can do. Hot baths and stretching help, but what I really need to do is get back to exercising regularly and work on losing weight. I feel pretty crappy these days and I'm sick of it.

Hope is on the horizon. I've got Lindsay's room cleaned out and ready for paint. I don't know if I'll get it done before the treadmill arrives, but I think I'll be able to work around it. I'm starting to get ideas for decorating that room. It's always a good sign when the ideas start to flow. It really changes my attitude towards the job ahead.

Getting back to an exercise routine will help get me through the holidays. Every year I seem to enjoy them less and less, and that ain't right. Feeling better physically will help with the emotional stuff.

Got some fun stuff coming up! We'll be going up to Dede's as usual, but after that the Langs and the Browns are heading to Las Vegas and I'm going with them. The girls are going to a Black Eyed Peas concert and the boys are going to see Blue Man Group. I'm sure the concert will be enormous fun, but I'd rather see the Blue Man show. Somewhere in there I'll do a little sissy gambling. I'm a total novice when it comes to gambling, but I do enjoy the nickel slots. Who knows? Maybe I'll win big. Really, I'd be very happy if I won enough to pay for the trip. And if Vegas kicks my ass I will still have had a good time with my family.

Ok, time for a hot bath.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nickels are the safest. Are you going to ride that roller coaster on top of that needle? I will never do that.

triguido: a three-card game played with Guido.

Anonymous said...

trandivi: a game of divisions played with trannies.

Anonymous said...

--dean

Donita Curioso said...

Hoo boy. I do love roller coasters, but that one may be too much for me. Still... It's just a rollercoaster, right? If I fell off one that was on the ground I'd still be dead meat, and yet, that doesn't bother me.

In Missouri I went on one of those giant swing rides. It was the biggest one I'd even been on. It really got to me. I had to actively talk myself into being ok with it, WHILE I was on the ride. But once I wrestled my fear into submission it was WHEEEEE!!!!.

So, I don't know. If I can get someone else to go with me, then maybe.

Triguido sounds like it could be a real game. Maybe it's a game played with three Guidos.

stedsi- A cutesy, dopey way of saying "instead".

VO said...

I am going to tell you something that sounds counterintuitive. Don't use heat on your muscle spasms. A muscle in spasm is inflamed. Heat inflames it more. Ice will help the swelling/inflammation so it can relax.

15 mins of ice, off for 15 mins. Repeat.

Heat will soften a muscle that is NOT in spasm but it does nothing good for a inflamed muscle.

And add a dose of Advil while you're at it (or other anti-inflammatory). No tylenol (which is only a pain reliever NOT an anti-inflammatory.

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks for the info. When I read your post I remembered that my chiro in Santa Rosa told me the same thing. Thanks for the refresher!