Sunday, November 22, 2009

Particles.

It looks like we'll be having Thanksgiving here this year. Well, the usual, normal, thursday Thanksgiving. The Lang sibs and spouses always have Thanksgiving on Friday. It's just easier that way. And for the last few years we haven't done the turkey dinner thing. Everyone gets that on thursday. We do a much easier meal of steak, chicken, salads and sides. Very summery. And the way the weather has been, it's kind of appropriate.

I don't know yet how many people we'll have. Lindsay and Kyle for sure, Renie maybe. Paige and me. Could be more. I haven't made many Thanksgiving dinners. We pretty much have always gone to someone else's house so I'll just make a dish or two to take, but I haven't cooked very many turkeys. It's always a little iffy. I think I'm getting the hang of it, though. I'm a big believer in brining.

So, I'm in menu planning mode. Turkey for sure, ginger carrots, garlic mashed potatoes, some kind of sweet potato thing. Paige is making pies. I found an interesting recipe for cranberry chutney that I'm going to try. I usually make a pineapple/mango relish but that's waaaay too much work, so not this year. I'll make cornbread stuffing. I wish I had Mom's recipe. She made the best stuffing. Someday I'd like to try oyster stuffing.

Handle those particles. Make lists. Clean the house.

6 comments:

VO said...

mmmmmm. Love cornbread stuffing. Mine has: onions, bacon, apples and celery. It's yummy.

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit this, but I like the kind of cranberry sauce that retains the look of the can when it's outside the can.

-dean

VO said...

Dean, me too. I actually like it better than the too sweet homemake kind that has pokey texture to it.

Donita Curioso said...

There's no shame in it. I too like the can-molded cranberry sauce. I like it better than the chunky kind. But this recipe sounds so good I must try it. it has cranberries, golden raisins, pecans, dried apricots, ginger, rum and spices. It also calls for 1/2 cup of brown sugar, but you could probably cut it down.

Lindsay said...

Renie is a definite yes! :D

Donita Curioso said...

Wheee!!!

limpani- A kettle drum with one short leg