Monday, August 24, 2009

Ok, no more whining

At least for now. I got myself revved up again.

I have a lot of outdoor projects coming up. Timio (remember him?) is going to have his crew come over and get all medieval on my yard. Vegetation shall be removed, cement will be poured, systems installed. I have this idea for what I'm going to do to my front porch area. I want to pour some cement and make a small patio and surround it with a privacy screen (very mid-cent-mod). At the corner of the house near the driveway I want to make a similar-looking structure that will hide the trash cans. I was outside just now looking at the area where I want to build the trash corral. It should be a pretty simple and inexpensive project and I think I can do it myself. It would involve pouring a small cement pad, sinking some 4x4's and screwing on some horizontal boards that have mitre cuts at the corners. I need to do some careful measuring to make sure both structures end up being the same level.

What I like about this project is I think it'll be a good jump start for the outdoor projects, just like the mosaic chalkboard was the jump start for the indoor stuff. Once the bushes are removed I can get started.

Ooh, I like this.

4 comments:

rytysdad said...

sound like you've got a plan....Ive had to pull bushes out. It was not fun. had to use a truck with a rope, the roots were so deep. Every once in a while a little Holly limb will try to grow out from that spot. I hate Holly bushes.

Anonymous said...

rytysdad: I think I've seen that truck-pulls-the-root-out video a few times on TV. Sometimes it wins money.

donita: oooh I love the construction workers crawling all over the place and it looks way different after. I love that!

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

I don't have a truck but the guys who will be doing the work do. I'll be sitting in a lawn chair with a big glass of iced tea watching the carnage.

If it's all left up to me the wheels can turn mighty slow. When you get other people involved things go much faster. I can't afford enough guys to give the "crawling all over the place" effect, but I can pay four or five of them to do their stuff.

retrot- when the horse doesn't get right the first time.

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah, today I found an online cement calculator. It looks like it'll take about half a cubic yard, which will cost around $40. Maybe another $100 for the wood and screws. Awesome.