Tuesday, March 03, 2009

My first speech.

Yesterday we gave speeches in class. It was an introductory speech. We were supposed to bring in an object that represents who we are and tie it into the speech. I chose my Fire Monkey icon.

Last week we did an exercise where everyone shared what their greatest public speaking fear was. On the list were forgetting, sweating, fidgeting, rambling, giggling. My item was speaking on a subject that I'm too emotionally invested in. The solution for that is to pick a safe subject.

Most of my speech had to do with my creativity and my humor. I did mention a little bit about having a dad with Alzheimer's and the loss of my husband, but I made sure those points were only briefly touched on. I was safe.

Then this girl, who was three people ahead of me, got up and gave her speech about her best friend who was killed in a car accident a couple years ago. She went on and on about how she doesn't know who she is without this person, about how she sometimes thinks she can just pick up the phone and call her and how she longed for another hug. She was the SADDEST GIRL IN THE WORLD.

After she sat down I started to tear up. I can't just be a little moved by something and shed a few tears and then move on. I sat at my desk and wept. I'm thinking, oh shit. Stop. Just stop. No good. After the next guy finished speaking I left the room. I went to the bathroom and worked like mad on pulling myself together. I know I still looked like a wreck when I went back to the room. And then it was my turn.

I had to open the speech by acknowledging the fact that Sad Girl's speech got to me. I did ok until I got to the part where I mentioned Jim. My throat closed up but I managed to fight through it. I felt like such a dope because the rest of the speech was about my sense of humor and playing the uke and writing songs. People did laugh at the funny parts but damn it, that girl fucked me up! Oh well, I think it went over ok.

Next time I'm going to demand to go first.

10 comments:

VO said...

Mucho applause from me. I HATE speaking in front of groups. And having to speak in front of a group about an emotional thing would send me right to my knees.

I'm pretty positive you did the best in class.

Nancy said...

Yeah, Doni. Getting choked up is real. That's what keeps people engaged as listeners. You did great.

Anonymous said...

I'm used to speaking to my fitness class- is that considered "public speaking"? (I'm known, I just found out, as "the Punisher"-don't believe it)
I'm sure you did an exemplary job and will probably get an "A".

Mommala

vivered- kind of like "revered", but with more "viv"

Donita Curioso said...

Hee! I like "vivered". It's how we feel about Vo. She's vivered.

I know I did ok. It's just a little weird for me because I'm a middle-aged woman in a sea of 18-year-olds. I'm already a misfit in that class. If I'm going to draw attention to myself I'd like it to be because I'm ultra cool and not because I'm a basket case.

Anne, teaching a fitness class is considered public speaking. I love that you're known as the Punisher!

Anonymous said...

Heh heh! I'm sorry. Your "I cry easily" stories crack me up. And then there's the "looking funny in front of a bunch of people" aspect added to this one. All these years I've tried to get you to do as I do and cry only when it's appropriate: during McDonald's commercials.

I bet your speech teacher wishes he'd had the boys describe changing a tire and the girls describe cleaning a refrigerator like we did in 9th grade.

-dean

copsemon: a guy hiding in the bushes in Jamaica

VO said...

hahaha, I thought vivered was when you're old and have liver spots but you still have some verve.

If I had a following I'd believe that statement Donita, but I have no following ('cept for myself).

Mommala, When I taught yoga some of my students thought I taught a hard class. My classes were small so I don't consider them public speaking since I knew everyone mostly.

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- I cried at a Texaco commercial once. But that was years ago. I almost lost it again today. The people who didn't get to do their speeches on Monday did them today. There was this one girl who had a pretty inspiring story. She talked about coaching little kids in track. She had such a great attitude. I started to tear up again but I fought it. I beat that sucker down.

I like "copsemon" -"Ay, Copsemon, come outta dem bushes, mon. We been lookin' for you."

Vo- You have a circle of friends and family who vivere you.

Anonymous said...

Your teacher will give you full credit for class participation, that's for sure.

-dean

quagyle-Quayle's socks

Anonymous said...

I concur! And don't worry, Doni, you ARE ultra cool!

Mary

rounabi

false cockney for: You've lost rounabi forry pounds!

Donita Curioso said...

Har! I like it!