Friday, March 06, 2009

I met people.

Tonight I went downtown to play music with Terry from uke circle. He plays with friends on Thursdays during Art Walk. They always play on the front steps of their church. This is the same church where I did those two shows. When I got there Terry was the only one there playing. He had invited a bunch of people and I was the only one who showed up. No big deal. Terry knows enough songs to be able to handle a show on his own and the scene was very informal. He and I goofed around for about an hour and a half, singing and playing for pretty much no one. There's not much Art Walk action on that corner. I considered this to be good practice for my upcoming busking adventure.

When I left I didn't really feel like going home. I remembered that they have open mike at Coffee Depot on Thursdays so I decided to see what was hoppin'. At least I could get a cup of coffee. When I got there it was pretty much the same as it was when Jeff and Bill and I went. Everyone in that room were all pretty young. It didn't look all that interesting to me so I got some coffee and sat down on one of the comfy sofas in the front room. A group of older guys (my age) were playing guitars. I was really enjoying listening to them. Then a guy came over and sat down on the sofa next to me. I mean, he sat on a different sofa that was next to the one I was sitting on. Almost immediately we started having a nice chat about music. He told me his band is playing at the Plaza on Saturday and gave me a flyer. Then another guy sat down on the sofa across from us. He was tuning an unusual looking tenor ukulele. Guy #1 (name's Jeff) and I started talking about ukes. Guy #2 (name's Tom) went to play with the guitar guys. I went out to the car and got my uke and book bag. Jeff and I continued with our conversation. Pretty soon Tom and one of the guitar guys came over and joined us. It was just a really nice conversation with a bunch of musicians I had never met before. That's unusual for me. I'm not shy about talking to people but usually I don't have all that much to contribute. This was different. I even sang a couple songs with Tom.

I stayed there until almost 11:30. I'll probably go see Jeff's band on Saturday. He also told me about some stuff that's happening on Friday night that I'm thinking of going to. I felt really good when I left the Coffee Depot. I'm not that good at meeting people and I felt really comfortable with those guys. They seemed to like me too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that's fun. Any of them interested in a trip to SxSW with a free couch to sleep on?

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Well, their wives would have to come along. They were all married.

Anonymous said...

We have a barcalounger now, too.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of being the "older ones" there. Laura had an art show at the Muddy Cup coffee House last night and everyone was 30 or under! Whenever her and Craig's band has a show it's even worse-if they say it starts at 8pm, it really starts at 11 or 12! Too late for these old fogies. I always feel like a teenager in an old person's body.
LOL
Glad you had a good time meeting fellow musicians-

Mommala

veeleaze-like pulleaze but with more VEEEEE!!!

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Ooh, a Barcalounger. Remember when we visited Texas and my back was giving me fits? Sleeping in a recliner was the only thing that gave me any relief. That is, until we got to your place and went to the Schlitterbahn and played in the moat all day. It was a miracle cure.

Anne- You are a middle-aged woman with a teenager's mind, just like me.

VO said...

It's cool to meet people like that. I can talk to almost anyone (although I hate big parties). Last week I chatted the entire uke circle with a stranger and we've been emailing all week about art.

Remember when you were a little kid and it was so easy to make friends?

proom - when you drive your broom to the prom, your ride is a proom.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember that. You haven't had back problems in a long time!

dean

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Sounds like a good night. I had wanted to come to the art walk, but the wind, the cold, and MY cold weakened my resolve. Maybe with extended daylight, artwalk will become more popular once again.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Not to detract from Terry and his church-mike thing, but maybe we can talk Darren into letting us do something on Art Walk nights. We might attract a little business for him from our friends, if nothing else.

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- Well, I still have back trouble but that episode was the worst. I'm hoping the Pilates and losing weight will help.

Jeff- Yeah, I'd rather do something at the Grind. Terry usually does his thing with Rockwell. I enjoy working with those guys but I'd rather do something with you.

Last night was pleasant. I went to this place called the Plum House. It's downtown behind the old De Anza theater, which is now a vitamin store. This church took two old Victorian houses and merged the yards and made one big patio that surrounds the whole thing. In the back they built a nice stage. The inside of the main house is decorated nicely. They really did a good job with the place. It's the most Austiney place I've seen in Riverside.

They also sell food. They're really big on the cheesecake. It's run by a church but it's not preachy. The proceeds go to helping at-risk kids and elderly shut-ins. At least that's what they say. It could be a front for a cult for all I know, but I don't think so. The atmosphere seemed open and accepting.

Last night was their open mike. They had a couple slots left but I didn't sign up. I just wanted to listen. They let people play three or four songs. Whole bands were playing so it took a while to set up between groups. They have a sound guy who plays host. Sometimes the main ministry dude will come out and talk and make announcements. He'll use his normal voice and then speak into a pitch shifter and make his voice sound like Alvin and tell jokes. It's pretty silly but everyone likes it.

Off to one side they had a couple people doing magic tricks at a bar. It's a fun little show. I stayed until it got too cold. They have patio heaters but it was still pretty chilly. On my way out the ministry dude (name's JD, or maybe it's JT) stopped me and talked to me for a little bit. He said they have another open mike on Wednesdays that's more acoustic and mellow. I'll probably go back for that one. I probably won't perform the Health Science song.

hothi- that come hither thing