Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Surly

I hate everybody.

Except you guys. What a morning.

When Jim died the hospital overcharged me $1,900. They notified me in a letter back in August. In September they sent me a check made out in Jim's name. I called them and they said to send it back to them and they'd issue a new one. I called them in November. I called them in March. The other day I got another check made out to Jim. I deposited that one hoping they wouldn't catch it. They did and stopped payment on it. I called them this morning to try once again to get it straightened out. This time they told me they couldn't issue one in my name because of the way Jim signed the consent form at the hospital.

Did anyone hear my head explode this morning?

Jim didn't sign any fucking consent form!!! Don't tell me you can't issue check in my name. Don't tell me you're putting in a "request" for a new check. Don't tell me you'll check to see "if" they'll issue a new check. What I want to hear is, "Yes, ma'am. I will PERSONALLY walk this over to the finance department and TELL them to issue you a new check IMMEDIATELY while I stand there and wait for it and then I will IMMEDIATELY put it in the mail. Please accept our apologies for acting like brainless robots who can't deviate in any way from company policies to correct a human error. You would be well within your rights to demand interest on that $1,900 plus the $11 your bank charged you for the check we stopped payment on. But since that would require a direct order from God, we won't push it. Just know that I will not rest until that check, with your name on it, is in your hands."

That's what I want to hear.

After that I drove to Kaiser for a check-up. Ok, a word of advice here. Don't try dealing with a heartless, brainless bureaucracy just before a doctor's appointment where the first thing they will do is take your blood pressure. It actually wasn't that bad but they did have to take it twice to get a better reading. I was also pleasantly surprised that I haven't gained as much weight as I thought. I'm only up seven pounds from last year. I talked to the doc about the numbness I occasionally feel in my right leg and she thinks it's just a sciatica problem. Gotta get to that chiropractor. I also told her about my anxiety attack and she said not to worry about it unless it happens again. She said taking the Xanax and the propranolol was the right thing to do. So, that was all good. Next, the mammo.

I went downstairs to get the mammogram. The gown they gave me probably would have fit Virginia perfectly. I went to the mammo waiting room an found myself surrounded by women wearing gowns that would have kept Mama Cass nicely covered. WTF? I was sitting there struggling to keep one boob covered. I had to hold a magazine in front of me. My mood deteriorated further. When the technician came to get me I asked for a bigger gown. She handed me one that was the same size as the one I had on. Oh well, at least it was bigger than a magazine.

The mammogram I had last year was the best one ever. That technician really knew what she was doing and the whole procedure was only mildly uncomfortable. This bone head was the complete opposite. In fact, it was the most painful mammogram I've ever had. She pinched my skin and dug her fingernails into me. She didn't tell me how to position myself, she just pushed me and pulled on my skin. And she kept trying to chat with me. Any blind retard could have seen that I was ready to lose it. The tone of her voice was condescending. She asked me three times if I had any questions. At one point while she was blathering on and I was crunched in that vise I just told her, "You have to hurry." I think that's when she finally got that I was ready to go off. Afterward, she had me change my clothes in the mammography room instead of going back to the dressing room.

After that I went to Norm's for some breakfast. The orange juice was warm and my breakfast was cold. Perfect.

I'm going to work now. After that I'm walking the Rube. I need it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoo boy... I have had days like that. Tuesday I was on hold with Conn's dept. store (unique to Texas; named appropriately) for half an hour--when the phone when dead. I called back and hung on another half hour and gave up. This after three calls over five weeks trying to get them to ORDER THE PART to fix my brand-new dryer that is still under manufacturer's warranty. I was so pissed off I beat up my phone. $30 for a new extension handset.

This morning I called back and got two very unfortunate humans. I hate being the asshole customer, but sometimes there's no other way.

When my mom died and T. Rowe Price gave me the runaround for MONTHS getting her major retirement account, I sent letters to the SEC, the BBB, the atty gen's office, and I cc'd a lawyer I knew (looked good) and papered everybody I could think of; so then T. Rowe Price had to deal with filling out endless forms,which was all the revenge I expected to get, but I got a check from them really fast, too.

Letters worked during the Clinton administration. I don't know about now.

I'll send you the business info on Riverside Community Hospital so you can bandy about the name of the CEO, and have his address & phone.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! Maybe that'll work. This morning I faxed all the paper work to HCA along with a letter. I sent them the death certificate, their original letter with my phone call notes scrawled all over it, a copy of the print out THEY sent me that clearly states the situation (I circled those parts and wrote "Did anyone in your office actually read this?", the invoice from the second erroneous check which also stated the situation (wrote a nasty note on that one, too), and a copy of the letter I got from my bank telling me they charged me $11 for the stop payment. One that one I wrote "By the way, you also owe me $11 not to mention interest on $1,953 for the last 15 months, but I won't hold my breath)".

We'll see if I get my check. If I don't then I'll have to step it up. I don't like being the asshole customer either but damn! How else do you get people to respond like human beings instead of robots? In my letter I explained how being jerked around by people like them (and they weren't the only ones) made me feel. I laid the guilt on as thick as I could without sounding whiny. Jeez, all it takes is for someone to do just a teeny bit extra to make sure something is done right.

A few weeks ago when I was out walking near our office I found a bundle of papers from the veteran's services office just down the street. It looked like they belonged to some vet that was recovering from a drug addiction and really needed those services. The address for the office was right on the papers. When I went to lunch I drove them over to the office. The woman at the counter took a BRIEF look at them and shoved them back to me saying, "This has nothing to do with us." I said, "Well, the address is right there and it looks like these papers might be very important to this person." Again she shoved them back at me saying it didn't have anything to do with her. She acted like I was one of the drug addict vets and of course, she was quite used to blowing them off. I slid them back to her and said, "Do you see that this doesn't have anything to do with me either? I found these papers, they look important and the address of THIS office is right there! These papers contain confidential information. You're in a much better position to find this person than I am and besides, it's not my job since I don't work here!" The dope finally got it. As I was walking out the vets in line murmured their support. They have to deal with that bitch all the time.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Even if I thought you were crazy I'd have said, "Hey! Our address is on those papers! Thanks for bringing them in!" I mean at LEAST.

Do you suppose people like that think it's LESS trouble for them to be horrible?

-dean

Anonymous said...

Oh, god you guys, I don't have time to write much now, but I sure do know how you feel!!!

There's a great quote from the movie "Men in Black" - the woman who works in the morgue says very mater-of-factly, "I hate the living." We refer to it whenever necessary!!!

Mary

vivage said...

Bad customer service just makes my blood boil. I'm about to have a conniption just reading your post.

Always go to the top of the fod chain the minute your chain gets yanked. Don't fuck around with the little guys.

Donita Curioso said...

Hoo-boy, Dean sent me the whole food chain! She looked up Community Hospital's and HCA's corporate rosters. The woman is a bloodhound! I'll give them a little time and see if I get my check. If I don't, I've got a huge list of people to write to. Thanks, Dean!

Yeah, this whole thing has been an energy suck. It always amazes me how shitty people can be. One of the things I liked best about working in retail was helping people. I enjoyed sending people away happy. I would have a hard time living with myself if I behaved like the people we've been talking about here.

Heh, heh! I hate the living. Love it.

vivage said...

Call on Monday, that's plenty of time.

Anonymous said...

It's all at the library, baby. All it takes is a library card.

-dean

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah. How do I get one of those? ;-)