Monday, April 14, 2008

I have a song!

I didn't like the one I was working on. Too much navel gazing. I mean, I liked it as a poem but as a song, not so much. It has some good lines in it, though. I'll put it away and work on it again when I'm ready. But I've just been through a year of a downer. Time for something light and randy.

Some of the stuff I was writing sounded like something out of a 15-year-old's diary. At one point I wrote- These sound like teenage ravings! Bingo. Got a song out of it. I call it The Teenage Ravings of a Middle-aged Woman. I'm not going to post it yet. I have to present it to Jeff and Bill first.

It gets a little dirty in places. I didn't mean for that to happen, it just took off that way. Fortunately, it's the kind of song you can keep writing verses for so I'll write some cleaner ones for a mixed audience. And don't read anything into the lyrics about my sexuality. I'm just having a bit of fun. Really, I'm quite normal. Boring, even. Normal and boring. Yep. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

Kyle put it nicely. He said, "Sometimes funny is more important than true."

But, whee, it's a song! I'm just glad I'll have something to present on Saturday. It'll also be fun to finally have a new song for open mike. I was beginning to worry that Bosom would be my last song.

I just got back from walking the Rube. I'm blissed out on endorphins.

Today Dr. Deb found some bugs in her office. Lots of 'em. They were swarming termites. I looked them up on Google. When subterranean termites move to start a new colony the breeders fly off in a swarm. When they find a place they like, they land and shed their wings. Dr. Deb's windowsills were covered in crawling bugs and broken off wings. They gave her the willies. Actually, they gave everyone in the office the willies except me. For me it was like the Discovery Channel.

Yesterday Jeff and Bill and I played for the grand opening of this smoothie place that their old next-door neighbors own. We were scrunched together in one little corner. Pretty silly, really. The blender was going almost the whole time so we were constantly being drowned out. Jeff picked up their mom and brought her along. It's always nice for her to get out whenever she can. She sat next to us in her wheelchair. She kept trying to talk to us but it's hard to understand her even in a quiet room. There, it was next to impossible. I really tried to listen to her but with the blender and a uke on either side of me I couldn't hear a word she said.

They paid us in smoothies. Ahem... Bill said they might cough up some cash, eventually.

I went to see Dad today. He looked pretty good and we even had an actual conversation. His aphasia was barely noticeable and he wasn't dopey. It was a short visit because he fell asleep. I tried talking to him in case it was just a little catnap but no, he was pretty well out. That's the best I've seen him look in a long time.

Tonight is the first time I've had the AC on since we moved here. I'm indulging in cool air. Better set that thermostat.

Mmmm, endorphins...

9 comments:

vivage said...

It's always nice for the MIL to get out. She LOVES hearing music, especially when it's her kidlets.

Hey, Kyle is right, funny is way better than true. And now I am so curious about your lyrics.

Donita Curioso said...

I can send them to you but you can't show them to what's-his-name.

vivage said...

Bwhahhahahahaha! Great lyrics, fabuloso! I won't show them to what's-his-name.

Anonymous said...

"They paid us in smoothies" sounds like a intriguing song title.

And, while not particularly randy, your Discovery Channel-esque view of the swarming termite invasion might be a fun song, too. Even a music video.

'Course that means the termites have found a perfect spot for their new digs somewhere within walking distance to the shimmering pile-o''-wings.

Aircon, eh? Snowflakes fill the air here like so many gossamer termite wings.

You bring out the poet in me. What an inspiration.

Brian, (14) enjoys a comedian who said that when someone comes up to you and asks if you are ticklish, the best thing you can say is, "I've got diarrhea."

Donita Curioso said...

Har! Ok, who do I have here, Dan or Carol?

Yes, "They Paid Us in Smoothies" would be a good song about how musicians are always getting the shaft form those who hire them.

Ok, now you've given me the image of snowfall as something really icky.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

On the other hand, funny and true the same, are they not?

Donita Curioso said...

Well, if everything in this song were true there'd have to be an intervention. You'll see tomorrow night.

Carol/Dan- I'm liking the termite song idea more and more. It would be a hilarious music video. Dr. Deb just got some brand new, gorgeous office furniture. We were joking that the termites were there to get a nice, juicy bite of expensive cherry wood.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, something like, "we're old with no toothies, so they pay us in smoothies...." Har, har

Mary

Donita Curioso said...

Eek! You just gave me a visual image. I've been watching that John Adams mini-series on HBO and all of the characters are old now so their teeth are yellow, black or missing.