Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Lunch with SpongeBob

On Sunday Lindsay, Kyle, Jim and I went to a book store in LA to see a... kind of a show, I guess. It was Tom Kenny and Andy Paley with Jillinda and Ben and a bass player, who's name I can't remember. They were playing songs from the Best Day Ever album. Tom was singing as SpongeBob. There were about 30 to 40 kids there. It was pretty cute. The kids had a great time. Afterward Tom sat at a table and signed autographs. I bought 3 copies of the cd and had him sign them.

Tom invited us to go out to lunch with the crew. His wife, Jill Talley (another voice actor, got started with Second City), and their 2 kids were also there. Cute kids! We all walked down the street to Art's Deli (the best pastrami I've ever had). Jim and I sat right across from Tom. He was very nice and we had a good time talking with him but I couldn't help thinking we were maybe boring him just a little. I felt like maybe we really didn't belong there. We really didn't have much to offer the guy. We talked about living in Sonoma County. He had performed in Santa Rosa and Petaluma a few times so he was familiar with the area. I remember seeing him on tv in the 80's. He had awesome 80's hair.

Anyway, my discomfort was entirely mine and had nothing to do with Tom. He couldn't have been nicer. I think eventually we'll get to know him a little better since it looks like Kyle will be working with him from time to time.

It's always fun being with Andy and Jillinda and Ben. I hope the TV's Kyle band can get together with Ben for band practice soon. I want to hear what we sound like with a good drummer!

In my last post I said I'm not going nuts yet. Scratch that. Dad is back and in full meddling mode. Last night he was at the sales shed telling Jim how to handle every transaction. I had to run around with customers so I couldn't rescue him. Towards the end of the night Dad got into an argument with Drew about closing at 7. He wanted us to stay open until 10! Drew told him no, we close at 7. Dad said he'd stay there by himself and sell trees. Drew said ok but the gate will be shut and the lights will be off. (heh!) Anyway, Dad gave up the argument after a while. I think it's because he was hungry and Drew and Mindy were taking him out to dinner.

Stacey is giving us a little break this afternoon. I don't know if Dad is down at the shed. We'll be heading down there in a little while. Man, I'll be so glad when this is over.

5 comments:

Jim said...

That sure was fun hanging out with the "Hi Seas".

The bassist was J.D. (I don't know what that stands for), the same bassist who plays for Naked Trucker shows. As usual, he left right after the show ended.

Donita Curioso said...

I thought it was J.D. but then I started to doubt myself. We've got a J.D. working at the tree farm so I thought there CAN'T be two J.Ds. That's just CRAZY!

Last night's closing went well. When we got there Scotty was in the shed by himself. He said Dad and J.D. were driving around the farm looking for customers. Dad was driving and J.D. was riding with him. Yeesh.

Things were quite dead so Dad didn't have a problem with closing at 7. He was in a pretty good mood. But even when he's in a good mood it's still hard to be around him. You just feel like he could go off at any second.

vivage said...

Bummer ya'll.

Sambian said...

joy of being a kid ;)

Jim said...

The link from user "sambian" points at patnox systems. I sambian a spammer???