Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My Hollywood debut

We went to the Trucker taping last night. Kyle had to work and Paige had band practice so it was Lindsay, Jim and me. We got there early enough to get good seats this time. The show was its usual fabulous fun.

During a break the Steve, warm-up comedian, asked if anyone wanted to sing a song with the band. Jim was poking at me to volunteer but I didn't feel quite right about it and I couldn't think of a song anyway. But the band went on break along with everyone else so Steve started asking for volunteers to sing a capella. It seemed like no one was raising their hands, although there were a lot of people volunteering their friends. One guy got up and sang By The Rivers Of Babylon and he was very good. Then Steve asked for more singers so I made a snap decision and said, "Ok, I'll do one!" EEK!

He handed me the mike and asked what song I was going to do. I told him I was going to do a song I wrote. From the look on his face I could tell he was thinking oh yeah, this is going to be lame. I sang the Bosom song. When I got to the end of the first verse people started laughing and Steve's expression changed. He was impressed! Good GAWD, I was nervous! My hands were shaking so much the microphone was waving around like crazy. I had to hold it with both hands to keep from looking like a total geriatric case. My voice was shaky. I was a little surprised. I'm not usually nervous about performing but hey, this was a Comedy Central studio audience!

The whole thing is kind of a blur. Maybe Jim and Lindsay will post their impressions here. But I do remember that people were laughing and enjoying my song and THAT was a total gas! I had fun goofing around with Steve. And the applause was huge. If I had sung some other song and performed that badly I would have been hugely embarrassed. But the audience liked my song (MY song!) so I'm very happy. Big ego feed!

Friday's taping will be the last one for a while. If the show gets picked up there will be many more. I hope it will! It debuts on January 17th. Gruber and Koechner have been doing this show on stage for years. Koechner's career has really taken off but Gruber hasn't done as well. If the Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show is a hit then Gruber can reap the rewards of all his years of hard work. He deserves it.

Man, that was fun! But good golly, I've got to get my nerves under control!

8 comments:

vivage said...

Ohhh, I am impressed! I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to doing such things in public. Course it helps that I can't sing a lick.

So you have my admiration and total awe for doing such a good job!

You should record the song and put it up on youtunes!

Donita Curioso said...

Dean- I doubt that it got recorded. I think if I whipped out a camera in the tv studio they'd object big time.

Virginia- Someday it shall be recorded and performed and sent off into the internet. Someday...

Nancy- Happy Birthday! Another one hits the half century mark! Congratulations!

Jim said...

*poke*poke*poke*!

I don't think it got recorded; they weren't rolling tape during the break, and we had to go through a metal detector coming in, so I think that there were few if any cameras in the audience.

Doni did a great job; I didn't hear any wavering in her vocal delivery or mic noise even though her hand was trembling enough so the end of the mike was moving through about a 2 inch arc. (I think that that shaking reaction in that situation is to be expected; with no mental preparation, she suddenly chose to perform HER song impromptu and a capella in front of hundreds. And she put her personality way out front and definitely had their attention!) She pulled Steve the audience wrangler over, and basically took control of the stage; I could tell Steve thought she was doing it properly, and also sort of surprised and bewildered about how to react, which I thought was cool. Steve said something like "that's the first time I've gotten a woodie from an audience member; I'm going to go stand in a corner for a while."

Of course, I'm biased, but I'm pretty sure Doni had the most professional delivery (and coolest song) of any of the audience volunteers that night, and the song was just a perfect fit with the Trucker audience and the situation. Ribald, cabaret-esque, and captivating.

Way to go Doni!

Donita Curioso said...

Heh, heh! Yeah, how lame is that?

We're going again tomorrow night for the last taping. Y'know, there's a piano on stage. Maybe it's Jim's turn to perform!

Anonymous said...

Donita- That's awesome!!!! We enjoyed your song ssooooo much- glad you had a chance to show it off- it's well worth the 'exposure' PUN INTENDED!!!

Donita Curioso said...

Hey, look who's here! Welcome to my blog!

Everybody, this is Kyle's mom. She be awesome. I feel we're so lucky that Lindsay got herself such a great guy who also happens to have a wonderful family.

I'm glad you found me! I was going to send you guys the link but..yeah...I forgot.

ouqtyle- Oh, you cutie! Why? Ellie!

Anonymous said...

Awww shucks- thanks for the welcome and the nice intro. Kyle's the lucky one to have found you guys!

Donita Curioso said...

Heh, heh! Aw shucks, back atcha!