Monday, August 29, 2022

Tech Challenged

 There's not much I can do right now on this computer.  I've been running into roadblocks.  Some of them I can Google my way out of.  Some of them are helped with YouTube videos.  I wanted to plug in the hard drive from my Mac mini, but I needed the proper adapter.  Got one, files have been transferred. At least I think they have.  I can't open any of them. When the kids are here next I'll get some help.

I bought a pen pad.  It was highly rated on Amazon, but it was way too hard to install, and I didn't like how wiggly the connections were.  Back it goes.  I ordered a Wacom pad because that's what I had before. I need a special adapter for that too.  I ordered a hub that should work.  It'll be here tomorrow.

I got a new printer, a wireless one.  I had to call tech support for that one.  I got it working, but I really don't know what I'm doing.  Nothing comes with instructions anymore.  It's all online.  The window thingy on the computer is tiny, and not all that intuitive.  I'll get it eventually.  How do I scan?  Once it's scanned, how do I get it into a file?  Once I do that, how do I save it?  It's not like it used to be.  

And fuck Apple for being all trendy and shit with the ports!  The good ol' USB connections aren't sexy anymore.  So now instead of plugging something in the way the whole world does, you have to have an adapter that will fit the tiny port on the back of the monitor.  I know I'll love this Mac eventually, but for now it's a bad boyfriend.

Today has been a frustrating combination of stumbling through set ups, and having a few minor successes that I can't find again once I dismiss them.

I found a scanning service, well, two scanning services.  One that's in Chino that can't handle larger sizes like my paintings, but can do them in a couple passes that I would have to stitch together.  Two paintings, four passes, for $25.  The other one is in Riverside that can handle large formats, but will cost $65 for two paintings and a set up fee.  I'm going with the Riverside store.

I started a sticky note that I'm keeping on my desktop with a running tally of what I've spent so far on this Etsy venture.  $1,134 so far.  I've gone for months doing my best to spend as little money as possible, so this is making me very uncomfortable.  But I can justify it a little because I've gone quite a while without a computer and printer, so it can be argued that I needed that stuff anyway.  I'm really tired of conducting my personal business all on my phone.  Now I can join the normal world again.  Jesus Christ, we're so dependent on this shit.

This is a depressing post.  Oh hey, did I mention we're headed into a majorly nasty heat wave?  Gonna be 112 on Sunday.  110 on Monday, so that's a nice cool down.  Humanity is fucked.

No comments: