Thursday, July 09, 2009

Mo' money. Thanks, Dad.

I know it's tacky to talk about money, but this inheritance is the source of all the stuff that's going to be happening here soon, so I think I should at least mention it. Yep, I gots me a wad.

Not the biggest wad that was ever bequeathed, but it'll make a huge difference in my life. Actually, it already has since my house is the biggest chunk of it. The rest of it will be divided, saved, invested and spent. I must be wise with my wad.

Pretty soon I'll be using some of it to take care of this house. My ideas for that are starting to gel, which is pretty exciting. Some of the work I can do myself and I'm looking forward to the challenge. I'll hire some burly dudes for the heavy lifting and I'll pay some smart and experienced dudes to do the things I really shouldn't attempt. But I can dig a trench and I can operate a power washer and I can paint. Here's the plan so far-

First, remove some trees and the spent landscaping. Start with an empty canvas. Once the trees and bushes are cleared I can see where I want to draw my lines. Along the far side of the house I want to put in a retaining wall and cover the ground with concrete. Right now it's nothing but a weedy and very steep slope, which is hard to maintain. I tried pulling the weeds out there and I kept falling down the hill. Putting in a retaining wall will add about 2 or 3 feet of useable space and make the whole thing tidy. I can then use that space for a dog run and storage. The retaining wall will continue out to the front yard, where it will dead-end into two large, step-down planters (these plans aren't yet set in, um, concrete).

And now to the front porch. I think I'll have to bust out the existing concrete before I can pour the new stuff. I'm going to enlarge the porch and make it into a small patio. I have an idea for a privacy screen which will look very mid-century modern, very retro. A new walkway will be poured. I want to widen the driveway so two cars can park there side-by-side.

Once all the cement work is done I'll start on paint prep. I'll power wash the whole place, have the stucco repaired and scrape and sand. The gutters will be removed. I'll make any wood repairs that need to be done and fill in the gaps with foam and caulk. Then I'll prime and paint. I picked out the colors today. A dusky teal for the shiplap siding, celery green for the stuccoed upper part and a creamy white for the trim.

After the house is painted I'll install new gutters. Then it's time for the fun stuff like adding plants and irrigation. I'd like to get rid of my lawn but I'm not solid on that idea yet. I know I can get my water usage way down if I use mostly California natives. One non-native plant I'm looking forward to getting is a fishtail palm. I saw some at the Huntington Museum that day I went with Virginia and I totally fell in love with them. I've never seen them anywhere else. Hey, I might be the first person in Riverside to get one!This is a very large one. I didn't see any that big at the Huntington. Click on the photo to enlarge.

I'm also adding a large planting bed that will run across the front of the house down by the sidewalk. In front of the bedroom windows I'm going to place five large ceramic pots planted with fruitless olive trees. They'll stay small for a long time and I think it'll look quite sharp, kind of zen.

And that's about it for now. I have lots of other ideas for the driveway and back yard but for now I want to concentrate on the front. I can't wait to get started.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your moolah and all your great ideas!
We're in the middle of replacing all the windows, adding a couple new ones, new siding, shutters, soffit gutters, etc.
I didn't plant much this year- just containers since I knew there would be scaffolding and ladders messing everything up. It should be done before we come out there!
Good luck and remember- everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you thought! :)

Mommala

Donita Curioso said...

Ah yes, the #1 rule of home improvement.

Hoo boy. Windows. I really should replace all my windows. When you get here you can fill me in on that one. My house is almost all window so I know that will be a huge expense. Funny how a house with so many windows can be so dark.

If I kept going and did everything that needs doing it would eat up all of my money.

It'll get great to see you guys!

Nancy said...

2 Questions:

#1. Can you use some of that wad to fly up to SoCo for the 'ukulele festival Oct 9-11?

#2. While you are here, would you consult with us on what the heck to do with our backyard? I LOVE your ideas! Never heard of a Fishtail Palm -- it's you!

Anonymous said...

The cool part about the windows is there's an income tax credit of 30% of the price up to $1500.00 if you get the windows that qualify. You can google up some info on it. It will save on your a/c and heating bills too. We were only going to do the siding until we heard about it. I think you have to have the work done by the end of 2010.
Mommala

VO said...

Yay for a wad of money. The whole plan sounds dreamy.

Anonymous said...

Hey! We're blogging again! I haven't been here in awhile.

I love the look of the fishtail palm. It looks like a fern. I wonder if it's a member of the fern family and not the palm family. I will look this up.

You have some big plans, dude.

dean

Donita Curioso said...

Nancy- Oh yes, I'll be coming up for the uke fest! Sure, I'll be happy to consult with you on the back yard. I can't guarantee I'll be of any help.

Anne- I'll check out the window thing. I just don't want to sit down with a salesman and get the high pressure tactics.

Vo- One thing I like about this plan is I can do it in stages. I won't have to have everything ripped out at once.

Dean- The fishtail palm is a palm. I looked up some other unusual palms. There's a foxtail palm that's also pretty cool. I might get a couple of those for the back yard. I think it would be fun to have a bunch of weird-ass palm trees all over the place.