Friday, June 05, 2009

Stuff

Not much going on right now. I grouted another section of the chalkboard frame today. I know it's taking a long time to finish this sucker. It's just that every time I grout a section it's a big commitment of time and it's kind of stressful. Plus, it eats the crap out of my hands, even with rubber gloves. Almost done, though. One more section.

I bought a new digital camera the other day. This is way more camera than I'll ever need. I've been reading the owner's manual and I'm barely understanding most of it. But I've got the basics. I've been itching to get some eBay sales going and now I can take photos of the stuff I want to sell.

I take my speech final on Monday. I'm so glad this semester is over. I'm not taking any summer classes. I want to be free to do a little traveling. I'd love to take a river trip or two.

Lio had a lumpy lump in his groin area. The vet thought it was caused by an injury of some kind. He said if it's a tumor then it's a nasty one because of its shape. He suggested we try antibiotics first. Well, it looks like that's doing the trick because I can't feel a lump anymore. That's a huge relief. Lio's my awesome little dude and he's only a year old. I want him to stick around for a very long time. I feel bad about giving him the antibiotics. It's a liquid that smells like bubble gum. Why couldn't they make it taste like fish?

11 comments:

Donita Curioso said...

Woo-hoo! The grout is on the last section! Now I have to wait 20 minutes and then wipe off the excess. Really I ought to be able to finish the whole thing today. Next the bathroom!

...which is a bigger project than I thought it would be. That wallpaper is stuck on but good. Oh well. I've started on the paintings for the cabinet inserts. I'm learning a lot as I go along. Replicating pretty japanese paintings is harder than I thought it would be.

Anonymous said...

Good for Lio! He was too young to have a Real Thing.

I'm sending you a present. Don't get too excited, It's not spectacular, it's just kinda cool.

dean

VO said...

Make it smell like fish by squirting it into some wet cat food. He'll gobble it up.

Can't wait to see the mosaic.

VO said...

wow, look at that me and Dean posted at the same time. Hi Dean!

Anonymous said...

Hi Virginia! I posted and then left.

Anonymous said...

Oooh Doni ~ you can look forward getting to a cool present that you make to smell like fish & cat food that your cat will want to eat! Wish I had friends like that!

Mary

Donita Curioso said...

Heh! You know, that's what I do with all of Dean's presents. Somehow they're just better when they smell like fish.

Ah, I'm in the home stretch with the chalkboard project. It'll be finished tomorrow for sure. Today I went to Michael's and got some poster frames. I also had the framing guy cut some glass for me. For years we've had these cool posters that were classroom teaching aids. They were put out by Coca-Cola in 1948 and they tell the story of electricity. We've always had numbers 1, 3 and 4. A few years ago Michele found number 2 and now we have the complete set. So today I got the glass and frame for the last poster. But dang, the glass is cut just a wee bit too small and it keeps popping out of the frame. I have to take it back. I also got a frame for the poster I got at last year's folk festival.

It feels good to get some of my art hung ups. At the farm I had hardly anything on the walls.

Today was productive. I like that.

Anonymous said...

Did you get the chalkboard paint to work well?

dean

Donita Curioso said...

Last night I covered the whole thing with joint compound. I was gone for most of the day today so I didn't get around to sanding it until this evening. I put the joint compound on a little too thick in places, so it's taking me a long time to sand it down evenly. I got about a third of it done. I decided to stop at that point so I wouldn't be suffering with a sore arm tomorrow.

But so far I'm really happy with how smooth it is. I think when I finally paint over the whole thing it will have a good finish. The way it was before it picked up every pebbly bump of the wall. Anyway, however it turns out that will be it. I'm not going to fuss over it anymore.

Donita Curioso said...

Ok, the final coat of chalkboard paint is on the wall. It's still pebbly but it's better than I was. Except for mounting the gnarly wood chalk holders to the wall this project is finished. Today Drew brought over the wood bowl that he cut in half for me. It looks really good. Now I just have to figure out how I want to affix them to the wall.

The paint has to cure for 4 days and then we can start using it. yay!

Donita Curioso said...

Better than it was. It's still pebbly but it's better than IT was.