Monday, February 09, 2009

Dickens and Dad

On Friday we had a birthday party for Dad at Airforce Village. He turned 80 yesterday. They had reserved the living room for us and even decorated it with balloons and a banner. The staff there sure do like him. When we arrived Dad was parked near the nurse's station. He was pretty sleepy and not very responsive, so I was a little worried he'd be zoned out for his party. But it didn't take long for him to come around. We wheeled him into the living room and had a quiet visit while we waited for everyone else to show up. Lindsay and Kyle, Paige and Gabe, and Chelsey and David were with me and Paige had brought Charlie. Dad really liked her and asked if he could hold her. Charlie was a little freaked out so she was a little squirmy, but I thought it was good that Dad was enjoying petting the puppy. Dad's three church ladies were the next to arrive. They really took good care of him during that time right after his driver's license was taken away. He was glad to see them.

Everyone else started to trickle in after that. Dede and Michael, Debbie and Bob, Drew's family, Stacey's family. The room really filled up. Dede had picked up Mexican food from Olivia's and Scotty brought margaritas. Dad's regular food tray arrived and we set it aside and gave him some refried beans and some cut up enchilada. He didn't eat much. We're wondering if his tongue hurts. It's really hard to get the inside of his mouth clean because he can't understand what you're trying to do. He'll open his mouth just a little bit and when you put something in he bites down. So, we think maybe all that build-up has caused an infection of some kind. He grimaces with every bite.

After dinner I got out the uke and sang some songs. Then Dede showed a video she had made from photos, old movie footage and some audio recordings of Dad. It was really beautiful. She did such a good job on it. Dad watched the whole thing and I know he enjoyed it.

After that we just had a nice, quiet visit. My kids left and then the church ladies. Scotty took the younger kids out so we could make our departure a more gentle transition. We were going to take Dad back to his room but his attendant was on her break and there was no one else to lift him back into his bed. He seemed like he was starting to get uncomfortable and every once in a while would moan or cry out in pain. We all stood around him trying to help him get comfortable and trying to figure out what was hurting him. It took a while for the attendant to come to take him back to his room. When she showed up we all left.

When I got home I took a shower and started working on my hair. Since I needed to be at the church pretty early I didn't want to take the chance that I'd run into problems trying to get my straight hair into a curly, Victorian updo. I had just finished setting it on hot rollers when the electricity went out. It was a crazy, stupid scene. I rolled my hair and then fed the dogs. You have to stand there while they eat or they'll fight. I had left the door to the sun room open so they knew they were being watched, and sat down at the computer. Then BAM, the lights went out, the computer shut down and the dogs IMMEDIATELY started fighting. Right after I broke that up the electricity came back on and all the smoke alarms went off. It was three minutes of chaos and stress. Then the power went out again. I made my way to the kitchen and found some matches and a candle. Chelsey and David were sleeping in the tv room. I wanted them to have some light in case they needed to get up so I put out a few of those battery operated, fake tea lights. I thought it looked pretty funny but at least it was a solution.

Saturday morning I got up and fixed my hair (turned out pretty good) and went to the church for a very long day of performing. Both shows went really well. I had three hours to kill in between shows so I got my uke out of the car and found a quiet room to hang out in. It rained the whole time on both days, which I'm sure kept people away. Our shows were full, though.

After that I went to Stacey's. Scotty grilled steaks and chicken and we had salad and leftover mexican food. David was there this time. We all had a good dinner and a nice visit. It was good to spend some more time with Debbie and Bob and look at their pictures.

Yesterday we only had one show in the afternoon. It was nice to spend some leisurely hours at home getting ready. Today I took out all the stitching that I had done on my costume and later I'll take it to the cleaners. You really can't tell that I had altered it in any way.

It's raining. A lot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raining in SO Cal? The last time I heard of that in Feb. was when the Dr. I work for (who suddenly passed away last Monday and left me now unemployed) was there on vacation and it rained for 3 weeks- he was really pissed since I told him how nice it always is there!
Glad your play and Stan's birthday went well-
Mommala

wallyp-that's a big deal- "it really packed a wallyp"

Donita Curioso said...

Yeah, it rains here sometimes.

Unemployed? Oh, no! Sorry about your boss, but jeez! Oh, Anne, I hope you find another job quickly.

VO said...

It's been raining for 4 days straight. Pouring all day Sat, Sun and today. Today we had hail up where I work.

So my birthday was spend indoors (both the hub and the daughter are sick). Glad Stan's bday was filled with festivities.

Anne, that is terrible that your boss up and took a celestial check out. Can you get unemployment? Is it a layoff? Is it just plain, "you're out of luck Bucko?"

Yikes, seems like when it rains, it pours.

Anonymous said...

The electricity/rollers/dog fight/smoke alarm story is hilarious because it didn't happen to me! But even the Dog Whisperer says you have to stand near the dogs when they eat. Even he can't fix that.

Anne--man, this is a bad economy for job hunting. I hope you have good luck! They say these days one must network.

Send that SoCal rain our way. We got about an inch last night from a storm travelling east from the Pacific. Send us another!

-dean

baing--a hairdo on a Flaig

Donita Curioso said...

The dog fight/smoke alarm thing was pretty funny but still stressful. I was trying to get the dogs to shut up because Chelsey and David were sleeping right in the next room. When the power came back on not only did the alarm go off but the light in the ceiling fan, which is very bright, came on as well. I was trying to restore peace and darkness as fast as I could.

Boz and Gracie never used to fight over food. Adding Lady to the mix pretty much ended all cooperation. Tonight, while it was raining, Boz and Lady got out. One of the neighbors came by and told me the black dog and white dog were out. Boz came back right away but Lady was nowhere to be seen. I was NOT going to run around in the rain looking for that stupid dog. I was thinking, awRIIIGHT, got rid of Lady! Woo hoo!

But then she came back.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone- (I feel like "the blog within the blog") I can collect unemployment and the thoughts of the Dr's wife are to sell the practice to another Dr. Until that happens I can't be there because of the liability and I can't even dispense the glasses/contact lenses since under law there has to be a licensed optometrist present.
So my house is getting VERY clean and I'm hoping for some nice weather to enjoy SOON!
Mommala (Anne aka Kyle's mom)

Donita Curioso said...

Man, that sounds like something that could take some time. Can you guys deal with one income for a while? I wish you luck. The good kind.

Anonymous said...

One income plus unemployment is do-able as long as we don't over-spend, It kinda sucks 'cause I'm used to not worrying about expenses and here I am making a BUDGET! Thankfully, Kyle and Laura are employed with benefits (at least Laura will get benefits soon) and Laura is graduated with student loan in a 6 month grace period.
(Carl made a face when he suggested Chinese take-out and I vetoed it!); I just need to get a handle on the cash flow but we'll be fine :)
Thanks for the concern!
mommala