Friday, November 24, 2006

Opening day

Not too bad. Everybody was here to help. David left for a while to run some errands and he took Dad with him. We got a lot done while they were gone. My only tense Dad moment happened when I was covering the countertops with butcher paper and he wanted to help. Covering a countertop isn't rocket science but he seemed to think I couldn't handle such a complex task as stapling a sheet of paper to some wood. He kept giving me instructions and pulling at the paper. I just let him do what he wanted to do. I knew we'd get the paper affixed eventually. I was a little surprised to see that he didn't have enough strength in his hand to work the staple gun. We're talkin' about a very girlie staple gun here, very easy to operate. His mood was pretty good today. I know he really enjoyed having his kids working together on the farm and his grandkids running all over the place.

It was a long day but not a hard day. Paige came down to work and almost immediately burned her hand on a pitchfork that Scotty had been using to stir the fire. That pretty much put her out of commission for the day. It was painful but not serious.

We sold seven trees. Good thing we're workin' for free.

We closed up early and headed over to the Brown's for dinner. Again we stuffed ourselves to the point of pain. Ok, that's it. Tomorrow it's back on the straight and narrow. The carb orgy is over.

7 comments:

Jim said...

"Oh it's not about nutrition." I'll say, it's about the American kind of MALnutrition"

I actually hurt myself Thursday. After two weeks of Atkins induction, I ate too much and popped something internally. Lucky for me, the body is so good at healing; the symptoms are slowly diminishing.

Thanksgiving dinner was THAT good!!

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

Good luck with the tree thing. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

We can identify with the huge meal thing! Carl's father's (84th) birthday was Friday, so of course we took him out to an Italian restaurant!
as far as Donita's dad- yes I've been there- best thing is to play along and humor him- it's a mean disease. Good luck with everything! Jim what do you think about Kyle's new wheels?

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks, Jeff. I'm hoping I can find some time to walk. Sticking to the diet will help.

Thank you, Anne. Yes, it is a mean disease. So, you're going throught the same thing, eh? Well, not YOU. (heh!) You know what I mean... So, yeah, as time goes on I will appreciate your input more and more.

Tomorrow night we're playing at open mike. We're doing Snooping For Presents and Socks And Underpants. Damn, these songs are fun!

Jim said...

Anne, Kyle brought the car by this weekend, and it looks great, but I haven't had a ride in it or scrutinized it. Since we're leaving for the Open Mic in a little over an hour, I might not get around to that this weekend. If I don't this weekend I'll give it a ride soon.

Kyle's happy with it so far; he discovered that the fuel fill door doesn't pop open when the (interior) lever is pulled, so I removed its latch for now

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jim! This is soooo hard- being nearly 3,000 miles away- thankyou for checking it out- fuel filler is the least of our problems, eh?

Jim said...

Mommala, you're welcome, of course; thanks for raising such a great person! Kyle and I discussed having a look-see at the car, so we'll probably do that next weekend.

Yep, the fuel filler cover is no big deal at all. If I get a chance to have a peek at an early-90's Subaru Legacy cover, than I'll know what's missing, but it must be a spring of some sort. No biggie. Or Kyle may just choose to live without...

Our performance at the Open Mic show was very successful; we left quite inspired and discussed it over a late dinner; we all feel ready to put on a real show, so Kyle is looking up a band or two that we can hook up with in the near future.

(BTW, I'm better, all recovered from Turkey Day...)