Monday, November 27, 2006

Open mike

Ah, a performance we can be happy about. We played two of Kyle's Christmas songs- Socks And Underpants and Snooping For Presents. I had a hard time hearing myself which makes it hard to be "in the moment" with the performance, so I didn't really see how the audience was responding. I also couldn't see what Kyle and Lindsay and Jim were doing. Anyway, it went well and the audience seemed to really enjoy it.

Kyle was very pleased and encouraged. He wants us to start opening for other bands so he's going to try to find us a show. We went out for dinner after open mike. It was good to see him so animated and happy (it's been a rough couple of weeks for him).

It was a good open mike. The Odien men were there. Jeff did a sweet song about Buster Keaton and tried his hand at plucking his uke instead of strumming. He did very well. Bill did a Merle Haggard song. Quite un-Merle Haggardish when performed on a ukulele and sung with Bill's well-trained, sweet voice. Very nice. Liam did his usual Dylan thing. His guitar playing has improved and he's looking more comfortable on stage. Gotta wean him off the Dylan. There are vast musical worlds to be explored and the boy certainly has the pipes to be able to pull off some more challenging stuff. He'll get there.

This morning we're off and running with farm concerns. The tree service guys are here to chip the dead Christmas trees and Dad's freaking out about the cost and about them working in the rain. The phone calls have begun. I love the fact that I can pass the buck about that stuff. I didn't set it up, I didn't write the check, it has nothing to do with me. All I have to say is, "Call David". We're supposed to open at 2. It's raining toady and it's still very early in the season so I doubt we'll have any customers. I'm going to take our bills down to the shed and get that done while I'm hanging out there doing nothing and being cold.

Got some fun shows coming up. First Julia Sweeney and Jill Sobule, then Tally Hall and then a taping of Comedy Central's Last Laugh. These are sanity breaks from selling christmas trees.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about the great open mike experience! "Socks & Underpants" is one of my all-time favorites! Any video to share?

Donita Curioso said...

Not yet. The Folk Music Center films the open mikes and sells the dvds about a month after. As soon as we get it we'll post it.

I think Socks And Underpants could be the next great Christmas pop song. I love it.

vivage said...

I heard your song was great, also heard the boys did ok. Yeah, on the Dylan stuff, he does play other things but is most comfortable playing him...cuz he hasn't practiced anything else in months!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mom(mala)!
We did record ourselved practicing those two songs the night before, and they came out pretty good, so I'll get the best takes and email some mp3s your way. ^_^

usdgrt: USD-approved yogurt

Donita Curioso said...

Oh yeah (duh!) I forgot about the practice recordings. I'll post them here, too.

qiuxkgsg- Aztec god

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kyle & Doni! I'll look forward to that :)