Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It hasn't sunk in yet

I thought I'd be jumping and screaming or at least weeping tears of joy. I really thought they'd steal this one, too. Not that they didn't try. Those last-minute robo calls probably hurt more than helped. Anyway, today I'm happy. Thank you, America. I can't wait to see how this plays out. Bush was a big baby when he had all the power. It'll be fun to watch the meltdown.

Yes, America, thank you very much!

I've been told I must blog about our El Serape dinner experience. Last Friday we went out to dinner with Kevin and Mary. Lindsay went with us and Kevin and Mary brought their friend, Sue, and her little granddaughter. We hadn't been to El Serape in years and years. I remembered it as being a pretty good restaurant. So much for that.

Things started going wrong as soon as we sat down. There was only one menu on the table and it was covered with some crusty, dried up sauce. When Jim was pouring sugar into his iced tea a big shard of glass fell out of the container and into his tea. Jim had the waitress take it away and bring him another glass of tea and a different sugar container (which took forever). In the meantime, everyone got their food but me. Mary took a bite of her taco and said the meat tasted weird. Jim tasted his and figured out that the meat was burnt. Not nicely charred like a good steak, but BURNED like they scraped the bottom of the pot and slopped it into a taco shell and served it. (Jim still doesn't have anything to drink to wash the nasty flavor away. I still have no food) When they complained to the waitress about it she said, "Oh yeah, they burned it a little". She KNEW it was burnt and she served it anyway?!?

Seriously, I wish I'd had a video camera to film the whole evening. It was amazingly bad. Kevin had ordered all beans, no rice. She brought him beans and rice. he sent it back where it got lost in that black hole they call a kitchen. When he finally did get it back his cheese enchilada was filled with that same burnt meat. He had to send that plate back. He was pretty mad at that point.

Everything had come except my plate and Lindsay's taco. We told the waitress to cancel the beef taco order and bring us chicken tacos. Jim was afraid of meat at this point so he opted for a bean burrito. He thought it would be covered with sauce and cheese. It was beans wrapped in a tortilla. Worst than anything you'd get at Del Taco #1. I still have no food.

Finally she brought my plate. I was afraid to eat it! I had asked for sour cream. When it finally arrived it was about a level teaspoon. Later I asked for more and she brought me almost half a cup! For most of the night we had so forks, no beverages, late food, wrong food, inedible food. At the end the "manager" came over and told us they were knocking $10 off the bill. Kevin very strongly stated that was not acceptable. This "manager"girl got all street snotty. "We're trying to make it ok for you. What do you want me to do?" Kevin said, "How 'bout half?!?" She said, "Well, you did eat your dinners..." That's as far as she got. Mary went off, like kaboom.

Now, Mary is a very sweet, kinda quiet lady. But this girly really set her off. She immediately put that snotty bint in her place. It was pretty cool. Jim told her no, we didn't eat our dinners, we sent them back SEVERAL times. We demanded to see the manager, the REAL manager. At first she got all smug and said she was it. We demanded to see the owner. At first she said she was the owner...um...sort of.... Yeah, right, you're the owner? She said, "Well, my mom doesn't speak english". The waitress, who was now crying, turned to a woman across the room and spoke to her in spanish. The woman yelled back something that sounded like yeah, yeah, it's ok. Both girls turned to us and said, "Ok, half!" at the same time.

What bullshit! What a stupid scene. We wanted to be nice to the waitress because the crappy food wasn't her fault but she was kind of lazy and stupid. They were going to give us a $10 discount on a shitty evening? The manager girl was going to stand there and effing LIE to us about who was really in charge? They were lucky we didn't start throwing things.

So, we won't be going back there any time soon. The next time Kevin and Mary want to go out for Mexican food I'll suggest Olivia's.

---

Some more election thoughts. I sent this to some people today.

I haven't been able to allow myself to get excited about this election. I think I stifled myself so much before the election that I'm still not letting myself enjoy the results (yet). But little bits of joy are squeaking out. Right now we're listening to the news that Rumsfeld is resigning. A few tears there. Now we've just heard that Tester won Montana. My throat is getting a little tight. Even the newscasters seem happy! It looks pretty certain that we'll be saying goodbye to Senator Macacawitz.

I'm going to enjoy watching the meltdown. Cheney's snarl will completely take over his face. Bush will get even more retarded.

Let the investigations begin! May the subpoenas flow like wine!

I finally feel like a citizen again. I'm going to finally fly that flag I bought after 9-11. Remember after 9-11 when you couldn't find an American flag in any of the stores because they were completely sold out? You couldn't find a flag or a pole or a bracket anywhere. The best we could do was stick a couple of tiny flags in a flower pot by our front door. By the time we finally found a flag, pole and bracket Bush had pissed away our good will and I didn't feel right about displaying this symbol of patriotism. I wanted to burn the fucker. Instead I just put it away. Now that cheap-ass, polyester, Home Depot flag will fly.

Yep, It's a pretty good day.

8 comments:

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

That's why I never go to ElSerape for the food--just the artwork.

Donita Curioso said...

I looked for the velvet paintings. All I could see was a big, acrylic painting of Mr. Aztec and his comely maiden, breasts well covered. They have new owners who don't seem to appreciate tradition.

kurzt- El Serape is kurzt. Don't go there.

Donita Curioso said...

I think more machines have paper trails now. We have them in Riverside. Didn't last time.

I think you're right. They were overwhelmed. So, you think they'll redistrict the redistricting in Texas now? I would love, love, love it if while they're working on their 6 for 06 stuff they also pass some election laws. Voter intimidation has got to stop. Either fix the machines or get rid of them. Cut out that gerrymandering bullshit.

vivage said...

Almost everyone I know voted straight Dem this time. Anyone who voted Rep slunk away very quietly. Bwhahahaha. I was so happy when they finally declared VA. I went to bed last night with everyone on pins and needles about the outcome.

lalalallaala - Oh happy day, Oh happy daaaa yaay!

Oh and El Serape? Ick.

Donita Curioso said...

Unfortunately, spending their time and energy getting re-elected will have to be high on their list. But that's nothing new, I guess. They have to get some work done or they (and we) will be screwed in '08.

For now, I'll just enjoy the win.

Brother Atom Bomb of Reflection said...

On Re-Districting: What I have heard and read says that, normally, re-districting takes palce about every ten years and usually reflects the interests of the party in control. What Tom DeLay did was re-district five years early in an attempt to make the repub oligarchy more permanent.

Voter Machines: I think Howard Dean's approach of being a presence in all 50 states deserves most of the credit. I have talked with local dems who say that the party has all but abandoned them because they assumed the races were unwinnable. The repubs could then focus their wealth and energies on the few elections the dems were targeting. This time, the dems forced the repubs to spread their resources, leaving them vulnerable in Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and other states where they felt strong. It didn't hurt that George Allen kept opening his mouth, either.

Jim said...

Carl Levin made a statement today in which he wants to look seriously at how to handle the Iraq mess; he mentioned that within the last few weeks, Rummy, Cheney and Bush all said it was going great in Iraq, and countered those statements with recent numbers. "...and they said this in just the last few weeks! We have to deal with the reality of the situation, not what we've been told." or something like that. He wants to start turning Iraq over to the Iraquis right away.

I told some friends about our El Sarap experience, and they said that they were thinking of going there, but wouldn't now. They said that they like Templo Del Sol on University for "old school" mexican food. So maybe we should try there.

Mexican places I like around here:
- Aztec (on Arlington near Adams): very "mexican" (and good) mexican food, and the closest business to our house. Kinda like going to that place with the great fish tacos in Rosarito Beach on Baja.

- Pepito's: They haven't lost the touch. Sometimes better than others, but good overall.

- Chipotle in The Plaza (did you know that they're owned by McDonald's?): Nice approach to burritos, and they taste great as salads!

- Del Taco on Arlington near Tava Lanes: My favorite mex drive-through food was Naugles, then they exited. Now it's Del Taco, but that particular one does better consistently than the others I've tried. Stay away from Del Taco #1 by the Plaza (Riverside & Central); their quality control isn't too good.

- Chevy's in Ontario: When we lived in Santa Rosa, Chevy's was our fave restaurant period. Now it's such a drive, we haven't been there in years. But we'll go again soon, 'cause I am reminded that I love their Fajitas! ;->

While we're on the subject of restaurants, what the heck has happened to Tuxies??? Their service and availability and quality foods suddenly dropped. Were they sold??? It was a landmark (to me)...

Jim said...

I didn't even know that there was a Tuxie Tuxhorn!

Doni needs to post, please!!!

qvirb - an Alesis product.