Thursday, December 22, 2005

Two more days

I'm tired and a bit blue. I'm really looking forward to the new year. I can start walking up Rubidoux again. I'll get my weight loss group started. We have a drummer now so band practices will be more fun and productive. No more Christmas tree sales. Forever. Don't even ask.

Didn't see Dad at all today. I took Paige to the doctor this morning for a throat infection. Got some antibiotics for her. Then us Smiths went to Denny's for breakfast. I told the girls they probably won't have much to open for Christmas this year and they said it's ok. They understand that it's just different this year. They're happy to shop the after Christmas sales.

Today Cody and Kyle worked. I sent Lindsay to the bank. After she came back she hung around the sales shed to make googly eyes at her new boyfriend. They're in the nauseatingly cuddly stage of their relationship which is actually kind of fun to watch. Kyle brought his sketch book. Man, what a pro.

Sales were absolutely dead today. We got a little bit of a rush at the end but not enough to justify staying open till 8. Drew came by for a little while but there was really nothing for him to do.

The newspaper story came out today. About half of the story was about our farm but the rest of it was about tree farms in general. There was a photo of Dad and me on the front page of the Local section. It was a nice story but after all the photos that were taken and the lengthy interview I expected a bit more. Only one customer today mentioned it.

Debbie and Bob are coming on Saturday. Since it'll all be over by the time they arrive Dad will probably be fairly calm.

Or not.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh sure..."stage." Like we're gonna stop being cuddly someday. ;)

Donita Curioso said...

Oh, I'm sure you'll be cuddly forever but jeez, do you have to do it in front of people? GOSH! (says Napoleon Dynamite)

But yeah, Lindsay and Kyle are quite adorable together.

Dean- Heh, heh! We told the reporter lots of stuff that didn't appear in the article. We told her about Dad's AD and how difficult it's been taking care of him and that the farm has been losing money. We asked her to be sensitive about it and not print the juicy stuff. I'm going to send her a thank you note.

Newspaper human interest stories always just skim the surface.

Jim said...

I've created a cache of the article on my blog, so you can read it here.

Donita Curioso said...

DAMN! I can feel it. I'm starting to get sick. Sore throat. I popped some Cs and some Gan Mao Ling so maybe I can hold it off. But if it's a bacterial thing like Jim and Paige have then Gan Mao Ling won't help.

Crapola.

We've already had some activity this morning. Some people wanted to get a tree so I had to go down to the sales shed and get them a saw. Then John Denauer (sp?) showed up to visit Dad. Then some guy from the airport came to the door to ask about the neighbor's gate which had been pried open and should he close it and put a lock on it? Like, how the hell should I know? It's just an empty piece of land. People do sneak in there to retrieve Christmas trees that they cut and threw over the fence after dark but I don't think the airport people should put their own lock on the gate and besides the thieves will cut it off anyway. Keee-rist, just let me eat my cereal, won'tcha?

Stacey is going to take Dad to a Christmas party this afternoon so we won't have to worry about him today. Tomorrow Debbie and Bob will be here and Stacey will take them to the Brown's party. It's too bad that I feel this way but I don't want to spend Christmas Eve with Dad. I want to hang out with Jim and the girls and maybe go to Ken's. We'll have the Lang family Christmas at Dede's and I'm looking forward to it. But no, my gift to my family (and myself) after this month-long marathon is a nice time together without Grandpa.

Stacey suggested that we hang a sign on the fence tomorrow that says if you want a tree come up to the house. I'm all for that.

Ach! Right now I just want to go someplace and have a good cry. Next Friday we're having band practice. I'm looking forward to that one. Will I be getting silly? Oh yes, you can bet the farm on it.

vivage said...

Hang on it's almost over.

Good pic of you and your dad amongst the trees.

The bright side: You've been walking the farm right?
Talking to people uses up calories.
Arguing with your dad uses up even more calories (although I wouldn't recommend that kind of exercise on a regular basis).
And now you're one more minute closer to the end of the season!

I hope you get a gift certificate or 5 to a day spa.

pzgwuvwo: A wuv call

Donita Curioso said...

Sounds awesome.

I've actually been pretty active this month which makes up for not walking the Rube. And driving my no power steering truck around works out my arms.

Today was busier than yesterday. I made a sign for the gate that directs people to our house and gives them our phone number if they want to buy a tree. We have no cutters scheduled for tomorrow and I'm sick. If Dad wants to squawk he can open the gate and sell the trees himself.

We're babysitting Kyle's kitten, Spiral, while he's away in New York for a week. I think we've decided that Spiral is a boy. It's hard to tell with cats. Anyway, he seems to have boy parts. And of course he's cute, cute, cute. He was verrrry interested in Gracie, from a distance anyway. It's cute when kittens frown.

oenvyosr- a lesser devil

vivage said...

Hey, we drove by the farm tonight just about the time you were posting your comment. We thought we'd finally get around to buying a tree.

But ya'll were closed. I told Bill he could park and Stan would come running down the hill to us. But we decided to spare you that drama.

We might just come by tomorrow (cuz we still don't have a tree!) in the am. Don't feel obligated to get up tho, Stan can deal with us.
iblhi: dumpling crockery

Donita Curioso said...

No, no, no. Come by our house. It will be a pleasure to serve you. We'll make you a fabulous deal.

Jim said...

You should have hung this sign on the fence:

Bell Out Of Order. Please Knock.


ibdekrmx - synthesized recreations of songs of extinct birds

vivage said...

Will ya poke your head out and say: Who rang that bell?

We'll come up the back way and knock, but if you're sick Donita stay in bed!

fopxi: Illegitimate brother of Flopsy.