Saturday, August 13, 2011

This is getting good.


Tonight Tracey and I went to the Claremont Flappers to check out how they do their auditions. I had read on their website that they take the first 25 comics that sign up on the audition list. I've been thinking about what song to do for my first audition. Do I hit 'em with my big guns (Phone Sex), or save that for the second round, if I make it? Are my other songs funny enough to compete with 24 other comics? Should I attempt to tell a couple jokes before I start singing? How the hell do I do that? Yes, I've been doing a lot of thinking about this whole process.

When Tracey and I got there we were the only ones in the lobby. Then, two young guys came in and signed the sign up sheet on the counter. Just before we went in another young man showed up. So that was it. Three guys auditioning and Tracey and me just there to watch. I didn't bring my uke. I wanted more time to practice. I planned to audition next Saturday.

The manager (name's Rick) came in and explained how things are done. He's a friendly guy with a very positive vibe. Each of the young guys got up and did their three minutes. One was certainly a beginner, but the other two were more polished. After each one performed, Rick would give them a critique. He was kind and encouraging. Afterward he asked if anyone had any questions. I spoke up and said, "Hi, Rick. I sent you an email. My name is Donita Smith.." He cut me off and said, "Oh yeah. You're in." He said he'd been to the Burbank club and Deven had "hunted him down" just so she could tell him about me. I couldn't keep a lid on my emotions this time. I welled up and had to brush away a few tears. We talked a bit more after that and I gave him my contact info. He said to come next week with my uke and be prepared to do more than one song.

He explained how the process works. After the auditions he meets with the other managers and the owners and gives them his notes. Then they all decide how each comic will proceed. They might have them enter a contest, or if they're good enough, stick them into a show. The way he talked it sounded like I might be considered for something a bit more fast tracked, based on what Deven had told him about me. I'll know more next week.

After we left Flappers, Tracey and I had dinner at Walter's in the village. She and I are both marveling at how this whole thing has unfolded. We walk into a bar, I spot a ukulele on a chair, and POW! I've been set on a path! Deven is my angel.

I am SO looking forward to this! The atmosphere there was so relaxed and friendly. All that pressure I had put on myself has disappeared. This is going to be just plain fun. I'm very excited and VERY HAPPY. Something good is happening to me.

4 comments:

VO said...

Bestest thing that's happened in a long time and I am just ecstatic for you. Wooooot!

Donita Curioso said...

Thank you. It's about time, isn't it? It's the best thing that's happened in a VERY long time.

Heh! I still need a job!

T2 said...

So. Fucking. Proud.

T2 said...

...and happy for you, Doni.