Monday, August 08, 2011

Comedy!

Wow. You just never know.

Ok. I've been writing these comedic songs for the last four years. I'm not at all prolific. I've written four good songs in four years. Lately I've been trying to come up with a way to get them out faster so I can actually put a show together for myself. I have ten songs that are in different stages of completion. They're all good ideas that will make killer songs if I can ever whip them into shape. But for now they sit in a file.

I've been doing my four complete songs at the local open mike and they've been very well received. People laugh, a lot, so I know they're good. I've been thinking I might even be able to put a little bit together and be an opening act for a comic show. Hey, I can dream.

Last night Tracey and I went to see Bobcat Goldthwaite at Flappers in L.A. Kyle worked as an extra in Bobcat's newest movie. He and Lindsay also had a meeting with him several months ago to discuss doing some storyboarding work for him. Kyle's family is visiting from New York, so this was going to be a fun evening hanging out with all the Carrozzas, seeing and possibly meeting Bobcat, and having an all around good time together.

Tracey and I arrived at Flappers a little early. I needed to pee, so we went directly into the bar. As I passed the stage on the way to the bathroom, I noticed a ukulele sitting on a chair. I thought, hmm, ukulele, cool. When I came out there was a young woman on stage getting ready to start her act. She and I started chatting (She's very friendly. Name's Deven) and I mentioned that I play uke and sing. She asked what I do and I told her mostly covers and I have a few of my own comedic songs. She started her act which consisted mostly of some very funny song mash-ups with some jokes thrown in here and there. We kept chatting during her performance, which was very casual and laid back. Then she asked me to come up and do a song. Wow! On stage at Flappers! Tracey and I couldn't believe what was happening.

I sat down and got through just a couple lines of my newest song, Phone Sex, when Lindsay and all the Carrozzas came in. Lindsay later told me they had been waiting outside the bar for us and then decided to go in. They were very surprised to see me on stage with a ukulele and a spotlight shining down on me! I wish I had a photo of all their faces when they saw me up there. Man, it was funny. They were kind of stunned. We hugged hello and I got back into my song.

I ended up doing all four of my songs. People laughed and it was all good and fun. Afterward, Deven told me I should audition for the club. I told her that Kyle also writes and performs comedy songs and she encouraged both of us to audition. She felt certain that the both of us could easily win. Top prize is $500 and three minutes on the main stage. Pretty cool.

Then (!) I was approached by the bar manager. He introduced himself and said. "I heard you say you're from Riverside. Flappers has a club in Claremont. Would you like to perform there? Give me your contact information and I'll give it to the guy who books the acts there. You have a good voice and you're very funny."

EEEKK!!!!!!

It was all I could do to keep from bursting into tears. Holy shit. This is exactly what I've been wanting to do! And even if nothing comes of it, I will always remember the surreal awesomeness of that moment.

So, we'll see. Kyle and I will audition for sure. Deven is now a Facebook friend. She sent me some more info about auditioning and getting in touch with the Claremont people.

Oh yeah. Bobcat was great. Didn't get to meet him, but we laughed our asses off. There was a really good comedian just before Bobcat. Young guy with Tourette's. He was really good. Good show, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I am basking in a glow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel it from here! You are wonderful.

Michele

T2 said...

Holy crapola! That's great Doni!

Terry T

Anonymous said...

You didn't cry?

What extremes you go through
to impress your daughter's boyfriend's
parents.

Way too cool and good for you.
Please keep us posted and send a pic.

Carol, Jay and Ginger doing the farm thing in NE Ohio.

Windfurfer said...

Hot damn! Congratulations, you're on your way to the next level.

Donita Curioso said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm just walking on air today.

The next level. Holy crap, there's a next level!

Donita Curioso said...

Oh my god, Deven is Betty Bowers!

http://www.DevenGreen.com/

snead said...

You don't post often, but when you do, it's worth reading.

-dean